Chapter 30

They returned to the pastry table. 

Amber and Desmond had gone off to who knows where, and Vivian, with her elbow resting on the table, and her cheek cradled in her palm had started to doze off, while James, Guardians help him, was digging into a pie that was even bigger than the cake he was eating previously. 

"James?"

"Mmmuyes mmmhugo?" he replied, through a mouthful of pie.

Hugo forced out a fake cough, "Uh, James, I-I" cough "-think I'm losing my voice. I can't-" cough "-announce the start of the fireworks-" cough "-could you do it for me?" he coughed another two times for added effect. 

James raised an eyebrow, looking unconvinced. He looked at Sofia, who was smiling apologetically. 

James rolled his eyes and smiled, "Fine, I'll do it just for you, bro." 

"Thanks bro," said Hugo gratefully. He put him arm around Sofia and lead her away. 

"Don't you dare get my sister sick!" James called out after them.

Hugo smirked and said to Sofia, "See? works every time." 

Sofia just laughed in response. 

When they approached the Ferret Wheel, Sofia marveled at it's grandeur up close. She had to crane her neck to see the very top. The giant structure had an ethereal silver glow and it spun slowly and smoothly.

"Hugo, you've really put science to good use. How is it able to move by itself? It's amazing!"

Hugo reddened, "I have a confession. I actually haven't figured it out yet, so I'm relying on the royal sorcerer to spin it."

Sofia's mind flashed back to the Royal Advisor Ex-Royal Sorcerer, alarmed. "What royal sorcerer?"

He pointed to the side, inside a booth, where there was a stern looking middle-aged woman with salt and pepper hair slicked back into a severe bun. She was waving a wand and simultaneously murmuring incantations. "I hired her recently. Octavia's the best of the best."

"Oh", Sofia said, relieved. "That's great to hear. Let's go ride the Ferret Wheel now!"

They boarded a carriage and started their smooth ascent. Sofia oohed and ahhed at the glittering lights of the village below. She could just barely see the couples dancing and the carnival booths, which were shrinking by the minute.

"Isn't this gorgeous?" Sophia sighed. 

Hugo, who had been staring at Sofia the entire time said, "Yes, I wholeheartedly agree."

"Thank you for bringing me here, I love it!" She gave him a light peck on the cheek. 

Hugo pouted, "That's all I'm gonna get?" 

"Well-"

He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and her breath caught in her throat. With a smooth movement, he had already pulled her into his lap. They were so close that all she could see were his beautiful green eyes and dark lashes. Their faces inched closer, as if there was a magical force around them, drawing them together.

Sofia could feel sparks ripple along her skin where they touched. They closed the distance and their lips caressed slowly and tenderly. At the exact moment their lips touched, fireworks erupted in the sky all around them. 

But nothing could compare to the explosions she felt inside her.

THE END

A/N: I hope you enjoyed the story! I hope I was able to do Sofia and Hugo justice. Thank you everyone, for reading, commenting, voting and engaging with the story. A story isn't a story without its readers :) (Also, can't believe I reached 1K reads, you guys are amazing!!)