Chapter 12

Sofia crept through the dark forest. Right after James had left her room, her amulet had started glowing. She wasn't sure why she was assigned to a mission in Enchancia as opposed to the Mystic Isles, but she was supposed to hunt down some troublesome thieves in the forest.

The thieves had been going around stealing travelers' gold and valuables. The victims escaped unscathed, but were rather annoyed. There wasn't much more information about the thieves, just that they came out at night. 

Just then, Sofia heard a twig snap.

Sofia whirled around, pointing her enchantlet in the direction of the sound.

Suddenly, an arm from behind encircled her neck in a chokehold. Sofia struggling to breathe, choked out, "I wish to be small", but nothing happened.

She tried to release her enchantlet's lasso, but nothing happened. What was going on?

"We don't mean you any harm, just hand over all your valuables and we'll let you go."

"I don't have any valuables," she said in frustration. "Let me go,"

The thieves didn't let go of her. They probably didn't believe her. 

She tried struggling against them, but there were just too many. They bound her hands and wrists and gagged her with a handkerchief so no one would hear her scream. 

They searched her for valuables but the only thing she had was her amulet, which had darkened to gray as if it had turned to stone. They confiscated it and left her lying in the dark, wondering how things could have gone so badly. 

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Why did her powers suddenly fail her?

She heard a rustling movement and there was a shadow before her, blocking her sight.

A voice whispered, "Sofia, it's me,"

His arms wrapped around her and lifted her from the ground. Then, he carried her away from the site silently.

He walked for a few hours like this, with her in his arms. They reached a clearing, then he set her down gently, and took off his hood concealing his face. It was Hugo.

He took out a dagger and cut the ropes tying her hands and feet, and untied the handkerchief covering her mouth. Sofia sat up and massaged her sore wrists. 

"Hugo what are you doing in the forest? And how did you know I was in trouble?"

"I-" Hugo said sheepishly. 

Sofia's face fell. "What are you doing with the gang of thieves?"

"Why are you running around alone in the forest at night?" he fired back.

"To catch your gang of thieves!"

Hugo's mouth quirked up, as if he was about to laugh but then frowned. "That's a foolish way to go about it." He reached into his pockets and pulled out the gray amulet. "Here, this belongs to you," and handed it to her. Sofia thanked him and hung it around her neck.

Then he added, "I've returned you to the edge of the forest, you can go home now,"

Sofia looked at him sadly. He was already beckoning her to leave.