Chapter 2

4 years ago

Sofia sat on the bleachers out in the cold wintry night. Hugo glided across the ice gracefully, soaring through the air, and making spins that were dizzying just to watch. Each day after class, she visited the Corinthian school of sports to watch him ice skate. She could sit here for hours, gazing at his leaps and jetes.

Suddenly Hugo was right in front of her. "Come join me," he smiled.

"Me?" she asked, surprised. 

He turned left and right, making an exaggerated gesture of looking at the deserted bleachers and rink around them. "Yes, you. Who else?"

"But it's been years! I don't think--"

He grasped both of her hands and pulled her onto the ice.

"Eeeek I don't have skates," she said, slipping. 

Hugo put his hands around her waist, pulling her up. His green eyes shone in the moonlight. "Miss magical princess, couldn't you enchant yourself some?"

"I- I guess I could try," she said, pulling out her wand. She closed her eyes, visualizing how Ms. Flora used her wand, and tried to do her best imitation. She waved it with a flourish and a pair of enchanted skates appeared on her feet. 

She gasped, "I actually did it."

"Of course you did," Hugo smiled and linked arms with her, pulling her across the ice. "Do you still remember the routine we did back at Royal Prep?" 

"Do you?" Sofia raised an eyebrow.

Hugo pulled out a sheet of paper from his pocket with the choreography written out in messy chicken scratch. 

"You wrote it down?"

"This routine holds a dear place in my heart," he said, folding it up gently and placing it back in his pocket. "I have it down in memory, I'll teach it to you."

So they spent hours dancing across the ice late into the night, laughing and having the best time of their lives.

Author's Note: Hello, hope you're enjoying the story so far! If you have any comments/constructive criticism, I would love to hear it. :)