XXVII

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕄𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕙𝕤 𝕃𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣: 𝕊𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━
𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕄𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕙𝕤 𝕃𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣: 𝕊𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣

"Chief, how much do you know about Daniel James Cullen?" I walked alongside Chief Arthur Emmett as we made our way through the hospital, Aaron trailing behind us.

"You mean the Crimson King? I know he likes to cut words into his victims' bodies. Three years ago your Phoenix field office arrested him. That's why we didn't call you in last time."

I nodded in understanding, "Has his most recent victim said anything?"

We stopped in front of a closed door, "He just woke up." He entered the room first, "Brian, these folks are with the FBI. Would you mind?"

The victim, Brian, nodded skeptically, turning his attention to the window behind Aaron and I as the nurse lifted the bandage. There, carved into his abdomen, were the letters "BAU".

"Do you know what it means?" Brian asked, staring at Aaron.

He replied, "Yes, we do."

Within the next two hours, the team had gathered back at the office to start reviewing the case. Aaron and I set up in the local police station, sticking notes and photos to the boards.

"Garcia, did the pictures come through?" Aaron held his phone as I hung more pictures up, listening to her response.

"Yes, sir, they are coming in loud and disconcertingly clear."

"This is it." Officer Dewey stood beside me, watching us work, "You compare pictures of the old victims with pictures of the new victims and see what's different?" Despite the circumstances, he sounded excited. Like he wanted to learn.

"Aaron. You see this?"

"Yes. Garcia, we need everybody."

"Yes sir. Will do."

"See what? What do you guys see?" Officer Dewey asked as Aaron and I walked away, gathering the files. We stood over the conference table, waiting for the team to pick up.

"Go ahead, Hotch, we're all here."

"The details of the Cullen case are all the same, except for one." He leaned over the table and I stood with my arms crossed.

"The cuts on the latest victim are shallow and show definite hesitation marks."

JJ's voice was tinted with confusion, "It doesn't make sense. From his first victim, Cullen inflicted as much pain as possible."