XXXIX

May 2017

Aaron,

David despises his birthday. Well, this year, at least. With the prison break last year, he's been dreading his birthday this year. I don't blame him. Especially with the way it turned out.

I know you remember the deal he made with Tommy Yates. That every year, on his birthday, he would go see Yates, who would give him the name and location of another victim. But Yates escaped last year, so David was worried about their meeting.

None of us were prepared for what Yates had planned. Not only did he call David, taunting him, but he started killing again. He killed two girls before David finally caught up with him.

Yates had the nerve to take a third victim to David's property. He thought he'd be able to bury her right there, knowing it would haunt David. But he underestimated him. She's okay, by the way.

I won't lie and say I shed a tear over Yates' death, but I know how much it can torment the person who took that shot. You know David, he put up a brave face, but he lingered a little longer here at the house than usual those first few days. I think having Yates so close to his home made him, or the space, feel violated. I understand that.

Alright, my hand is beyond cramped, so that's all for tonight.

Alex.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

June 2017

Aaron,

Things are quiet again. Cases have slowed down- I guess the serial killers are taking off for the summer, too.

I thought I'd let you know, we finished the nursery. I went with a lilac purple on that far wall, where the crib is. The rest of the room is white, though. Penelope, JJ, and Savannah helped me with the decorations. Pale purple and teal stars, moons, clouds, the works. It's beautiful, really. I think you'd really like it.

The doctor says I have to be especially careful now. I'm at risk for premature labor, and since I'm due early August and it's late June already, I could go into labor at anytime.

I'm terrified. And excited. Words can't express how much I miss you. I haven't given up hope that you'll come back before our baby is born, that you won't have to miss it, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Even though you won't be here, it's okay. I have family here. The entire team has gone above and beyond to make sure I remember that.

Speaking of family, I talked to Derek and Sav. I asked them if they'd be our baby's godparents. They accepted, of course. I think Penelope was a little upset that I didn't ask her, but when I explained why we wanted Derek and Sav, she understood. She'll make a fantastic aunt, and maybe an even better mother one day, but she's far more better suited to be the fun aunt. She agreed.

I hated having those conversations without you, but I'm getting used to it. Being a single parent...

Alex.