XXIX

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

"What do you mean you have to go?" I questioned, frustration and exhaustion building.

"It's just what I said, Alex. The director needs me for special assignment, I can't just say no." He argued back as he stood over a suitcase, neatly folding and placing clothes in it.

"Aaron, you can't- you can't just leave." I ran my hand through my hair, blinking back the tears, "We just got moved in, and I have another appointment coming up, and-"

"Alex, breathe." He dropped a shirt before walking over to me, taking my face in his hands, "It's only for a little while, okay? I'll be back before you know it."

"Don't lie to me," I pushed his hands away and took a step back, "You have enough clothes packed to last several weeks. What aren't you telling me?"

He stared at me for a long moment, hesitating, "Nothing, Alex. It's just an assignment, okay? Please, I need you to relax-"

"Don't tell me to relax!" I huffed, wiping away tears as they began to fall, "There's so much happening right now. We have to get the house ready, and Jack isn't settled yet, and I might be pregnant, and we're getting married in two months, and— and—"

"Alex, breathe, please." He grabbed my shoulders and guided me to the bed. I sat on the edge, my head bowed, "It's going to be okay, I promise. One thing at a time, right?"

He sat on the ground in front of me, leaning up to press a gentle kiss to my lips, "The wedding is finalized. Everything's ready and paid for. All we'll have to do is show up as David's house, right?" I nodded in response, "Jack is settling just fine. He's having fun exploring the house. And as for you..." He moved one hand from my shoulder to my stomach, his thumb tracing invisible circles, "All you need to do is relax. If the IVF worked this time, then you need to keep your stress to a minimum. That's what the doctor said, okay?"

I took a deep breathing, placing my hands over his as I nodded, "Okay. Okay, you're right. I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize, baby. I know the timing isn't ideal, but when the Director taps you for an assignment..."

"You have to go." I agreed, "I know. Just promise me you'll come back in one piece, okay?"

"I promise." He stood up and kissed my forehead before moving around the bed, going back to pack.

I stood up and looked around our room. We had closed on the house a few weeks ago, but didn't get everything moved in until a few days ago. So far, we were living out of boxes. Most of the rooms were bare, except for the furniture we brought from the apartment. There were boxes everywhere— in the kitchen, living room, dining room, bedrooms...