XXX

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, hesitating before opening the door. My heart cracked at the sight in front of me.

The room was no longer empty. There, across from me, sat a fully assembled crib. Beside it, a rocking chair. They were both a dark brown, solid wood. They came from a set Aaron and I had picked out together. There was also a chest of drawers and changing table in the set, but I had told him we could wait to get them. In fact, I thought we had decided to wait to get anything...

I walked across the room, running my hand across the railing of the crib. In it sat a letter, my name wrote out in cursive on the front. I hesitated for a moment before picking it up, moving to sit in the chair as I opened it.

Alex,

First, I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for this morning. I shouldn't have gotten upset with you. I understand why you don't want me to leave. Trust me, I don't want to be leaving right now either.

It was meant to be a surprise for when I come home, but I wanted to do something that would make you smile. I know we had planned to wait, but hearing you talk about our baby, about all of your plans for her (or him), I didn't want to wait. The rest of the set should arrive soon, but I hope to be there to finish assembling it.

I love you so much, and I know I'm the luckiest man alive for how much patience you have with me. I'll be home soon,

Aaron

P.S.
Jack is staying with Jessica until I get back.

I folded the letter back up as I started to sob, overwhelmed. On one hand, my heart was soaring at the gesture, but on the other, I was worried about him. He never was one for grand gestures, much less handwritten notes or avoiding my calls.

I decided to let it be for the night. I hovered in the doorway for a moment before closing the door, moving towards my room. After a quick shower, I decided to head to bed, trying his cell one more time.

This is Aaron Hotchner. You know what to do.

My hand dropped as I ended the call. Whatever this special assignment is, it must require radio silence...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Trying a new look, Alvez?" I smiled at him as I passed through the bullpen, looking at the pink sweater in his hands as he stood over his desk.

"It's from Garcia." He replied, "For Roxy."

He followed after me as we made our way to the round table room, the rest of the team waiting. We took our seats as Penelope stood in her usual spot, remote in one hand and tablet in the other.