VII

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

━━━━━━⊱༻ ༺⊰━━━━━━

After we finished eating, Jack helped me clean up and put the leftovers in the fridge. He went off to his room to finish up his homework.

I sat on the couch and pulled out my phone, dialing the only person I wanted to talk to.

"Alex, hey."

"Hey," I bit my lip as my tears welled up again, my joy getting the best of me.

"Alex? What's wrong?" I deflated at his monotone.

"I'm fine, sorry. It's nothing, really."

"Okay... Listen, I've got to go. We've got the name of one of the brothers and we're about to bring him in. Can we talk later?"

"Yeah... Sure. Stay safe."

"Always." He hung up and I dropped my hand to my lap, staring at my phone. He's just distracted, that's all.

I busied myself by cleaning the apartment, distracting myself so I wouldn't psych myself out. I got a call later that night as I was setting up dinner.

"Hello?"

"Hey, pretty girl."

"Oh, hey, Derek. What's up?"

"Don't sound so excited!" He chuckled, "So, we got the younger brother. He's obviously the submissive, but he's not giving us anything."

"Have you tried threatening jail time? Using the evidence against him?"

"Hotch led the interrogation, what do you think?"

I smiled, "Yeah, yeah okay. Have you used their relationship against him?"

"Who do you think we are, amateurs?"

"No, I would never think that! Try using the sister against him. We're assuming she left willingly, right? But what if she didn't? If you put the blame on the older brother, say he forced the sister away, it'll make him angry or protective."

"Good idea. I'll call you back-"

"Wait, I want to hear this." I could tell he rolled his eyes, even without seeing him.

"We know why you did it." That was Aaron, "It's all about your sister, isn't it? She left you, abandoned you. Left you and your brother to suffer in that house. Except she didn't, did she? No, your brother pushed her away, forced her to leave."

"You shut your mouth!"

"She loved you, she wanted to help you, but he didn't care. He wanted her gone, he was jealous of the attention she gave you!"

"No!"

"He wants her dead because he hates her, because he wants you all to himself!"

"NO! No..."