XXXVIII

March 2017

Aaron,

I don't have much to report this month.

We've had some interesting cases lately.

One guy had two M.Os, but he didn't even realize it, because he was killing when he was sleepwalking. And another guy had a rare disease that caused him to burn when exposed to light, so he was kidnapping girls and drinking their blood, because he believed it would make the disease go away.

I've been staying behind more than I'd like. Truthfully, the fatigue from being pregnant has been kicking my ass. So I've been staying at the office with Penelope. She loves it, of course.

She's spoiling our kid, who hasn't even been born yet. Baby has enough outfits to wear something new every day for the first six months, and not have to wear anything twice. I think she's trying to help keep me distracted from missing you. And it's working.

Alex.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

April 2017

Aaron,

Your brother stopped by today. I know your relationship with him has always been strained, but he's a good kid. He wouldn't tell me who called him or told him to come see me, but I have the faintest inclination that it was Emily.

Our relationship isn't the best right now. I don't blame her for you leaving, and I stopped blaming her for trying to replace you. She's done an amazing job as our new boss. You'd be proud of her. But those first few months, I did blame her, and I said some things I shouldn't have. I apologized and we made up, but I think it'll take a while longer before that bond is fixed.

Anyways, back to Sean. He's only in town for the weekend, so I put him up in Jack's room. It's nice having someone else around, especially at night. That's when it's the hardest, when I'm alone with my thoughts. He asks a lot of questions, and he figured out quickly how to get on my nerves, but he's family. Even if you and I aren't married, we're family. And he knows it.

Alex.