XXXVI

January 2017

My sweetheart,

Emily brought on a new agent to our team. You probably know him-- Stephen Walker. He seems nice enough, and David swears by him. Even Penelope likes him, which I think is infuriating for Luke. She still calls him newbie, but she finally warmed up to him. Not that she'd ever let him know that...

I realized something recently, when Emily finally moved into your office. It's hard to figure out, to verbalize. I don't hate her; she's a great agent and a good person, but I think I resent her a little bit. She's replacing you. She'd never say as much, because we all know that isn't possible, but it made it real. That you're gone, that even if we get Scratch, you don't plan to go back to work. Maybe you don't plan to even come back. I don't know. I have no way of knowing. Because you left.

I think Emily realizes that. She knows I don't entirely hold it against her, because there's no one else who is a better fit to replace you, but she's trying. To make sure it's a seamless transition. I'll admit, I appreciate the effort. We all do.

Okay, I've lost my train of thought. I'm tired, its been a while since I've slept through the night. I'll write to you again in a few days, after my appointment.

Lex.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

January 2017

My sweetheart,

It's a girl.
We're having a baby girl.
A daughter.

Lex.