Need You Now

Freshmen year,
5 months after homecoming

"Whatcha thinking about?" Zed straightened up suddenly as he heard his favorite voice next to him. It wasn't much of a surprise since he had been waiting by her locker for the last ten minutes..
"You." The zombie blushed, his eyes wide as he realized he just said that out loud. He was always blurting shit out when it came to Haven.
"Good. I was thinking about you too handsome." Standing on her tip toes she threw her arms around his neck and tugged him close. Zed grunted, his hands bracing himself against the lockers as she leaned against them. For being such a shy guy with anxiety it would be his luck to fall for a girl like Haven. Outspoken, direct and not a afraid of a damn thing.

"Wow.." Zed swallowed hard blushing even more as Haven giggle. She didn't let go of her grip on him as they continued to stare in each other's eyes.
"Can you come over after school today?" He nodded quickly, fuck was he whipped.
"Great I'll let Bucky know." Haven frowned as her boyfriend sighed. "I know he's like a massive jerk but I promise. H-he'll come around.. I think." She muttered the last part under her breath but mentally slapped herself. Zombies could hear everything. Even her mumblings.

"I love you Zeddy." Haven pecked his lips quickly, smiling as her boyfriend laughed. She had called him once while trying to cheer him up a few months back and it stuck ever since. "I love you Hav."

....

"Hey zombie can you help me out here?" Bucky groaned as he used all his strength to not drop the ice chest he was failing to bring outside. Zed laughed before jogging over to snatch the ice chest from Bucky. "Why would you put ice in it before bringing it outside?"
"Because... You know what I can go back to not liking you really easily dude.." The guys stared at each other for a minute before laughing, walking side by side as they made their way over to the edge of the deck where the other ice chests sat. Bucky helped Zed fill it with beverages before grabbing all the cardboard to throw away.

The Buchanan's backyard was decked out in neon green and pink streamers, balloons and various other decorations. Pictures of Zed and the rest of the team were placed on tables here and there to celebrate the boys and wish them victory on their championship game.

Haven watched her favorite people through the kitchen window, they were getting along making her heart feel fuller than ever before. Her bliss was short lived though as she heard her father hang up the phone. Frustration was clear on his face. Another phone call with none other than Aunt Missy.

She wasn't happy about her husband facing a court hearing and possibly losing the next election for Mayor.

"Addison and Missy won't be attending the party." He forced a smile seeing Haven had been able to piece together more of the phone conversation than he realized. "It's their lost sweet pea.." Michael sighed as he saw his daughters eyes well up. Haven felt like all of this was her fault and she didn't know how to fix it.

"Hav?" The glass door sliding open and Zed's voice calling out for Haven cut their conversation short. The zombie eyed the two wearily as he hurried over to his girlfriend.
"I'm okay." She tried to assure him but the zombie knew better. He could feel her.
"Right.." He mumbled before giving his girlfriend a kiss against her temple. Wrapping his arm around her he hoped he could help with whatever she was battling. She sighed snuggling into him as some relief washed over her. Thank god for Zed.

"Alright guys come on! We have a party in T-Minus 25 minutes ! Places people!" Bucky cheered trying to turn the frowns he was seeing upside down. Parties were his speciality.