Championship

The Championship

"And that's another touchdown for the Southside Serpents.." The zombie hurled his helmet against the turf as they exited the field. He chugged his water as the Coach rattled off new plays, frantically trying to change anything to pull a win.

"Zed, man.. What's happening out there?!"

"Nothing Coach.. I got it." He tried to assure the older man looking down at him. In all four seasons of Zed being in his team he's only been sacked on two occasions. This game alone he's been sacked twice by the same player.

"You better...There is a lot riding on tonight." Coach reminded him before smacking him on the back of his pads. "Get back out there Necrodopolis.. and remind them what a monster looks like!"

Zed gritted his teeth as his zombie inside him also roared in agitation. They could hear the snickers from the opposing team.

"What's so great about the guy anyways?"

"For all the brains they eat their sure fucking dumb."

"Come one, next one that lays out the freak—"

"Zed?"

A voice interrupted his eavesdropping but it wasn't just a voice.

It was exactly the one he needed to hear. However who it belonged to was also part of the reason he's been fumbling so hard tonight.

Haven.

Looking around Zed didn't see his girlfriend scrunching his eyebrows in confusion he looked over to the cheerleaders still about thirty feet away and saw her wave.

"You can hear me.. can't you?" Watching her lips move, he realized she was talking just low enough for him. A nod of his head brought a smile to her face.

"I don't know what's going on.. but you gotta focus.. and for the love of god take number forty two down." A chuckle left the zombies lips as he nodded. Grabbing his helmet he joined the rest of the team taking their positions.

As the play was called, Zed grounded his cleats in the dirt. A growl ripping from his throat as he eyes met with the very player that had been gunning for him since their first play.

The ball was live, Zed catching it before throwing it to another zombie on the team then he was off. Dogging players left and right, the end zone was so close.

Turning to his right he signaled he was indeed open as Zavier made a perfect throw before being tackled.

The zombie pushed himself as fast as he could go until he was in the clear of the end zone. Turning around he could see forty two catching his breath.

Zeds lip curled as he glared at the player  walking past him to his own team but not before trying to get under his skin.
"Looks like you got lucky freak."

"It's not luck if I do it again!" Zed threw back, he knew he needed to get his head on straight. They wouldn't score a single point the rest of the game and he was making it his mission to carry out that promise.