Monsters

As the Buchanan's made their way into the courthouse. One of their lawyers flagged them over. Zed swallowing a little louder than necessary as Haven eyed him.

"Everything okay?"

"More than okay!" Sadie cheered, "Trevor and Jeff are in there right now with the judge and the boys. They all decided to plead guilty for the plea deals we originally offered!"

"W-what?" Haven's jaw dropped, "How? What does that even mean?" She dug her nails into Zed's arm out of shock and annoyance. She knew Zed had lied to her but what the hell did he do?!

"It's kind of a lot to take in but I promise this is a good thing." Sadie took Haven's hands in her own, attempting to help relax the teen. "The boys that attacked you will never be allowed within one hundred feet of you and any other girls they've assaulted. They will all be on probation for a minimum of five years and every one of them will have to register as a sex offender. Mr. Jacobson who we were pretty sure was also involved in Penelope Garcia's rape and attack came forward. Do to the severity of the crime and what Penelope went through the judge has charged him with attempted second degree murder...a minimum sentence of five years in prison as well as rape which earned him another five years. " Haven sat down at the bench next to her. Everything her lawyer was saying made her head spin. All the boys were being punished for their wrong doings, they all willingly came forward?

Her eyes drifted to where her boyfriend stood less than five feet away. He remained calm, his lips in a thin line as they're eyes met.

"Haven you did it! You won!" Sadie became teary eyed, the teenager let out a shaky breath before her emotions became too heavy for her to bare. Haven began sobbing, Joanne was quick to push past the zombie to be with her daughter. Zed was about to take a step forward but Mr. Buchanan stopped him.

"We are going to need to talk.." The zombie nodded, his eyes flickering to Bucky who seemed taken back by todays events as well.

Haven sat in court, the other girls who had been attacked all taking the seats in the first couple benches behind her. A few of the football players had prepared apology speeches, some even cried begging for forgiveness.

Haven looked down at her fingers, she felt numb and lost. She wasn't sure what to feel, what she should be feeling. She should be happy right? They were done, justice had been served and the trial was cut short. She didn't have to keep being questioned, keep reliving the terrible events of that night.

Why wasn't she happy?
She had been the least effected by all this. She was the one that got away.

"Baby?" Zed carefully closed her door. Mr and Mrs. Buchanan we're in a press conference about todays trial. He knew as soon as they came home they would be having a discussion but he needed to make sure Haven was okay first.

She sniffled, holding a pillow to her chest as she curled up on her window seat.

"Hav what's wrong?"

"Why am I not happy?" The zombie was taken back, especially when her teary eyes stared right through him. "We won and I don't feel anything.."

"Baby your in shock." Zed slowly took a couple steps towards her. "That's normal."

"Is it?" Haven let out a frustrated sob, "because it sure as fuck doesn't feel like it!"

Taking the seat next to her, the zombie sighed. "Did I ever tell you about what happened with me after my mom died?" His girlfriend furrowed her eyebrows, sitting up a little straighter. "No."
Zed never talked about it. Ever.