A Last Ditch Effort

I sit on the hard metal chair of the massive room of the Boss who by the time I sat, had pulled another chair out and sat right in front of my face.

   I could hear him breathing nervously... something was bothering him, which was a first as the Hawk never worries. Suddenly he spoke," Listen carefully, or this may be your last mission..". My ears rose as if they were shocked. He continued," Our best detective, Samuel Fernand has just been reported dead.... his body was found at the heart of Paris... He was betrayed serving the nation's deepest secrets and that--that--".

    For the first time in my career, I saw The Hawk tearing up, I felt a gut kick to myself too, as Samuel was a close friend of mine. He was jokingly called "The Watcher" for his underlying detective skills. He was charming, carefree and always a caring and kind friend... Now that I remember he was the one who introduced me to this facility, the CIAH( Criminal Investigative Agency of Haiti). I ask the commander carefully," Are--, you ok?". He replies," Yes, yes....ok back to the topic, the reason that you, our worst detective has been called here is to continue this investigation in the name of Samuel Fernand--".

     I feel my heart thump, Me the worst detective in the recent years of the CIAH has been assigned the country's most important mission but there are still--".

 "I know what you are thinking". Hawk says. He continues," Details, right?". I nod my head firmly.

 The commander says," Ok, But before anything we need a code name".

"Got one in mind" He asks.

I reply, "The Underlier, my name is going to be The Underlier".

He continues," Ok, Underlier, you are a Last Ditch Effort, our final resort".

"The Last Ditch Effort to save our country and its past".