1. Chapter One.

LAYLA

I leisurely sat in bed, waiting for the door to be flung wide open, showing a fire-breathing dragon who would no doubt rave about my heinous actions.

The double doors to my room were thrust open as expected, and there stood a dark-haired, slim middle-aged woman staring at me with venom.

"God damnit Layla! This is the third bodyguard you've fired in the last month as a result of your careless behavior!" My stepmother yelled angrily at me as I turned the pages of Vogue magazine, rolling my eyes at her overacting.

I chose to ignore her and instead think about the two-piece suit I saw in a magazine and was about to purchase.

"Hand me that you spoilt brat!" My stepmother spat, seizing the magazine and ripping it apart before throwing it to the ground.

"I was making use of that." I sat up and pretended to be in anguish.

"Listen to me, you wretched girl; I have no desire to clean up after your messes! You'll do exactly what I say, be precisely what I say, and be who I say you are until I'm dead and no longer queen. If I ever catch you sneaking out another night and manage to get your new bodyguard fired, I'll have you shipped to the farthest bottomless pit I can discover." She seethed taking slow steps towards me.

"After all, I wield all power, and your father pays attention to everything I say. You're just a spoiled brat he's never wanted. Now since I'm expecting a girl baby, I'll be able to conveniently rid of your unwanted body and have my daughter become the princess." She made sure to speak in my ear so no one else could hear.

"My father may be dissatisfied with my actions thus far, but at least he's not a dark and dreadful soul such as you Violet. My father adores and cherishes my beyond anything. He'd never want me to leave his side, Never!" I spit at her.

The entire room echoed as Violet hand harshly met with my face. My hand on instinct leaped out to hold it in utter shock.

This was the first time she had gone beyond her boundaries with me and laid her hand on me. Her smirk evident on her face and I glared at her trying my best not to cry and let her have the satisfaction of seeing me down.

"My father will hear of this Violet."

"Go ahead and tell him. Let's see what he has to say; for all Liam cares I'm just teaching his disgusting daughter a lesson and proper manners. You most surely require it." She smirked as if taunting me.

"Don't you see, dear child? Your father is uninterested in you. I'm sure if he did, he'd come to see you at least once a month; yeah, he did come to see you early last month, but it was to criticize your horrible behavior. I'm curious why he hasn't visited you or allowed you to visit him despite the fact that he's only five doors down the hall." She made fun of me.

I tried to dismiss what Violet was saying, but I knew deep down that it was true: my father never cared enough about me to pay attention to me.

Violet has been nothing but a witch since my mother died and she assumed the position of stepmother and queen.

Violet's behaviors and poisonous methods were overlooked by my father despite my repeated warnings. My father always preferred her words over mine.

My father, who had always loved me, now didn't care about me or my existence. The sensation itself is a dagger to my heart.

I had never been this rebellious before, but after years of being told what to do, what to dress, what to say, and when to go out, I was almost at my breaking point, and no one cared.

That's when I had enough; I wanted to feel what others felt; I wanted to be a regular human for a change; and that's when I began my rebellion.

"You will never get away with this and I will ensure of it mark my words violet."