32. Chapter Thirty-Two.

Epilogue......

One month later.....

As I lay in bed, the tears streaming down my face had finally ceased, leaving me with a numbness that was all-encompassing.

I could hear the faint creaking of the door to my bedroom as it opened and closed, but I paid it no mind, my mind still consumed with the overwhelming sadness that had taken over my being.

"Layla?" My father's voice called out to me, and though I heard him, I couldn't bring myself to respond.

My body felt heavy, weighed down by the emotions that had wracked me just moments before. I lay there, unmoving, as my father's footsteps drew closer, the sound of his breathing growing louder as he neared my bedside. I could feel a dip in my bed as he took a seat.

"Since you came back home, Layla, you haven't said a word to me," my father said, his tone laced with concern. "I'm proud of you for doing so well during your doctor's and therapist's appointments. But, as your father, I want to hear from you. Layla, please talk to me," he implored, his voice trembling.

"I know I've hurt you in the past, and I'm sorry for everything, baby girl," he added, his apology genuine. However, the pain I had endured was too much to simply brush aside and forgive him for all the wrongs he had committed.

I couldn't shake the feeling that my father's wife was his top priority, and that he would do anything she asked.

The thought, making me resent him even more. His hand moved through my hair in a comforting gesture, but I knew I couldn't have him in the room when the doctor arrived.

"I hate you," I whispered, feeling the weight of my words in the heavy silence. His hand paused in my hair, and for a moment, I held my breath, uncertain of his response.

"I love you no matter what," he replied quietly before getting up and leaving the room.

I sniffled, wiping away my tears as the door opened once again.

"Layla." My doctor, doctor Grace called out to me.

As I sat up on my bed, she placed the envelope in my hands. "I want you to know that I'm doing this for you because I love you. If your stepmother Violet finds out, she'll use it against you, and I promised your mother I'd take care of you. I could get fired for this, so please take good care of it. Stay strong and remember that I'm here for you," she said with concern etched on her face. I nodded my head, feeling grateful and smiling timidly.

"Now I'll have to go." Grace cautioned before leaving the room.

I hesitated before placing the envelope under my pillow. The weight of its contents felt heavy in my hands. I wasn't ready to face the results of my actions, the consequences that would come if the wrong people found out about what I had done. But at the same time, I knew I couldn't keep hiding forever.

It had been a month since that day, and my life had changed in ways I never could have imagined. I thought back to the moment when Nico had slipped that piece of paper into my bra, It was his phone number, a lifeline for us to stay in touch. But in my current situation, it was also a risk.

I was barred from using a phone or coming into contact with one. It was just one of the many restrictions placed on me by my stepmother Violet. I wasn't even allowed to do anything without her permission, let alone communicate with anyone outside of her control.

As I traced the numbers on the crumpled paper, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness. I missed the twins immensely.

I was pacing back and forth in my room just thinking of ways to hear from my best friends when my door immediately flew open once again revealing no other than my evil stepmother.