20. Chapter Twenty.

I was absolutely shocked by Dimitri's revelation and sat up in bed, hugging the sheet to my chest. My mouth opened only partially as I struggled to process the information. This information shocked me. Dimitri was always aware of who I was?

Instead of me making a revelation it was Dimitri who was the one doing the shocking revelations.

He was lying in bed, carefully observing my every emotion as it happened. I felt a variety of emotions, including shock, confusion, anxiety, nervousness, and anger. I also wasn't sure what to make of it all.

"How did you know who I was, and how long had you known that I was the princess?" I asked in shock.

"I was aware from the beginning when you had to consider your options long and hard before selecting that laughable name. You said you worked at a restaurant I frequently go to for business, yet I have never seen you there despite the fact that you claimed to work there. Third is the fact that you claimed to have thrown a bag away while seeing at us which was complete lie and I usually run a background check on everyone." I was utterly speechless and at a lost for words as Dimitri confessed nonchalantly.

"You also looked very familiar to me."

I'm surprised he knew me all along and never even held me for ransom or even bothered to pretend he knew who I was.

"Why didn't you speak up or take action if you knew who I was the entire time? Since you were aware that I wasn't Rena, why did you act as though I was?" I inquired in confusion.

"Everyone, Layla, has a reason for doing what they do. Even though I was aware that you had lied, I had no idea who you were until I ran a background check on you. I also had no idea why you had chosen to maintain your anonymity, however I didn't want to pry into your personal life." When I heard this, I wanted to scream at him.

"The reason you hid your identity could have been that you were trying to escape and didn't want to be caught again, or you didn't want us to demand a ransom in exchange for your release. It wasn't a concern of mine in any scenario." I was about to rip my hair out when Dimitri spoke in a nonchalant manner.

"Although I will confess that I was curious about your motives for fleeing but my main concern was persuading you to remain quiet about what you had seen rather than endangering you in any way. It was sufficient to only get to know the surface of you rather than your complete life's activities." I scoffed at his words.

I had a lot of questions, but I wasn't even sure where to begin because I was so confused. I repeatedly tried to speak but had to shut my mouth.

"How many people are aware of this, and is Dimitri even your real name?" He was watching me with curiosity as I asked him the question, and he was watching me with curiosity as well.

"Only I know who you really are; however, if Sofia connects the dots and discovers your true identity, that may soon change. If anyone else knew, I'm certain they would have many various ideas for what to do with you, and yes, my name is Dimitri." Declared Dimitri.

"So, Dimitri, what precisely were you planning to do with me? And what will happen when Sofia connects the pieces and realizes I am the princess?" I asked.

"You can either return to the royal family as I've decided to do, or you can depart at any time, as you want, exactly as you had desired. Since I can't trust Sofia, it's possible that you're no longer safe now that she knows who you are." As I heard what he said, I gasped while also feeling slightly disappointed.

Not the part about Sofia, but the fact that he was willing to let me go after we had sex, as if that were all he wanted from me, was what stung.

It was at that moment that I recalled Gabriel encouraging me to have sex with Dimitri in order to leave.