Real Friends

On the first day of school began, Minerva got up right when the sun was up and started getting ready. When Jane got up, she was met with Minerva brushing her hair and styling it nicely. She got up and got ready, just brushing her hair and getting her shoes on and in minutes she was ready with Minerva. "So, Jane, I was wondering if-" Minerva was cut off when Jane walked out of the room. "If you wanted to walk down together," Minerva finished, disappointed. She sighed then grabbed her book bag and went downstairs and immediately heard someone, "Nerva!"

She started walking out until someone said, "Minerva!" She stopped and turned to see Heidi with a group of her friends, she went up to her and spoke, "I called you earlier, Nerva." "Oh, sorry," Minerva apologized. "I've never been called that." "Really? It's a cute nickname," Heidi said. "Come on, let's get going." They walked out together, Minerva was just happy to have a friend with her so she wasn't completely alone. When they entered the great hall, Jane was sitting with the same boy from before. They were talking, Minerva looked at her for a second but Heidi spoke, "Let's sit together, I want to hear all about you and your family."

"My family?" Minerva questioned as they sat down. "Yeah, I mean you're a Potter-Malfoy," Heidi said. "I want to hear about your life at home with your chosen mom." Minerva gave a small smile before Heidi spoke, "My family is part of the ministry in France." As she went on and on, it was apparent to Minerva that Heidi was a rich pureblood, though she didn't seem mean about it but very prideful. Minerva listened while eating, but did not pay attention fully, she was mostly looking forward to her classes anyway. In the first class, she was charms which she enjoyed so much, the next was transfigurations which she struggled with a bit, but liked it nonetheless, and then she had potions which she found easy since it was just following instructions to her.

That was her last class before lunch, so as her friends talked she read over her homework and what she had to do for the week. "Look, here she comes," Heidi said causing Minerva to look up. She motioned toward Jane once she walked into the great hall with the same boy. "You know who she is, I heard you share a room with her," Heidi said to Minerva. "She's rude, right? She acts like she's above everyone, but she's not." "I mean, a little, but we're strangers still," Minerva said. "You can be honest if you don't like her," Heidi assured. "That's a stretch," Minerva said. "I don't know her yet, so until then she's just my mutual." Heidi hummed then Minerva spoke, "I'm gonna find my next class."

She grabbed her bag before walking away, Minerva looked at Jane before walking out. Jane was cold, but not rude, there is no point in judging someone so quickly. The day went on, but Minerva couldn't help but be iffy about Heidi as the school day went on. They were only there for a week and Heidi was gossiping, but that made her popular and for some reason, she had some fixation to be Minerva's friend. The sad part was, that Minerva didn't feel as excited to be her friend, it made her feel guilty. At the end of the week, Minerva was reading over a letter her brothers sent her and one that her parents sent her.

However, she didn't know how to reply to them, they were asking about friends and classes — so, Minerva wrote a generic letter about her classes and the people she met and sent it off so they didn't worry. Minerva sat at her window as she thought to herself, she can make the most of her time there, she has the whole year. She has the whole year...

-

The following week was very much the same, even though Minerva had some peace in her classes, hanging around Heidi and her group wasn't the best time for her. Whenever she tried to keep to herself, Heidi insisted on coming along. So, when they were coming out of the library, Heidi started speaking, "I mean, after everything you wouldn't think so." Minerva nodded along, trying to be a good friend regardless. Heidi looked forward and spoke, "And here she comes." "Who?" Minerva questioned, looking forward. It was Jane, she was walking alone down the hall, she stopped to talk to the older boy again. "That's her brother, John," Heidi told Minerva. "Her only friend."