Chapter 8

Level 83: Field of Roses

The group kept exploring, going through a bunch of levels and finding themselves in a large, foggy field of bright red roses. Karl looked at his friends and Callahan. The mute brunet looked around before typing something.

'Wow. It's really pretty.'

They seemed to switch to their phone camera and took a photo, smiling happily. "You like the roses, Callahan?" Sapnap chuckled. Callahan nodded, taking it in before crouching down and grabbing one and picking it. They went to talk out of past habit but quickly realized something. They let out a silent sigh of frustration and began typing.

'I think this place is paradise. A field of what has to be millions of roses. Just perfect. I love it.'

Callahan spun the rose around in their hand before Sam handed them a bottle of purified water. "Here. Put it in there." He said, smiling softly. Callahan looked even happier as they put the rose in the bottle carefully. They began typing out their reply.

'Thanks Sam! I'll open the bottle in the Hub so it can breathe lol'

Callahan let out a silent giggle, still smiling but soon their attention got caught by something. They quickly began typing to tell the others about what took their attention away from the rose.

'I hear a voice in my head. It's telling me nice things. It's odd but I don't mind.'

They looked around as if looking for the source despite knowing only they could hear it. It took a moment but soon enough, Karl heard it too. 'You look very nice today, Karl.' the voice said. He flinched, having not expected it. "I- I hear it too..." Karl seemed off put by it. Something felt wrong to him about having a disembodied voice telling him he looked nice. He felt a little crazy when he looked down at himself and smiled slightly. At least something thought he looked nice. His colourful sweater was covered in blood spatter. His hair was messy and his pants were tattered in places, mostly the knees. He looked like he'd been through hell- granted he was IN a hell like place. He couldn't help but look around the group, noticing how everyone looked like a mess. He felt like Sapnap and Callahan were the least disheveled.

Karl looked around, peering through the fog, noticing how far the field stretched. It looked like it went on forever, from what Karl could see. It seemed like the fog was disappearing slowly. Karl decided to take some initiative and start walking. "Guys, Karl is walking away." Quackity called out. Karl turned and gave the raven a swift glare. "We need to explore and learn more about the Backrooms." He said before glaring into the distance and continuing on. "Karl has a point. We need to keep moving." Sam said, trailing after Karl. Callahan seemed reluctant to move, they had picked even more roses, holding five of them. Callahan chased after the group.

'Karl. Take this!'

Callahan handed a rose to the brunet. Karl smiled and took it gratefully. "Thanks Callahan!". Callahan nodded in response before giving everyone else a rose. Callahan continued picking flowers as they went, smiling to themself. The group walked and walked, eventually finding a house painted black. Sam tried to keep everyone back but Karl walked up to it. He held his newly acquired machete in his hand. Sapnap ran up, "If you're going in, so the fuck am I."

Sapnap and Karl slowly entered the highly ominous house. They barely noticed a bunch of limbs sitting in the corner. Without warning it lunged forward, grabbing hold of Sapnap from his blindside. A scream erupted from the raven as he clawed at the entity. Karl swung his machete, slicing off one of the creature's arms before swinging again and again. Sapnap's scream's continued, driving Karl farther and farther into a blind fury. Swinging and slicing limbs from the entity. Sapnap soon was silenced and the clump of limbs turned to Karl, pinning him to the ground as extreme pain consumed his entire body. His scream's took over where Sapnap's had been. The half blind raven lay motionless on the ground. Karl felt his mind slip. He could only scream one thing before his voice slipped under, haze filling his mind. "SAM!".

He was in and out but through the mental fog of blood loss and pain he saw Sam, Ant, Quackity, and Callahan burst into the room. Ant fell to Sapnap's side, dragging the bloodied man out of the house and onto the porch. "Sapnap, stay with me!" Ant called, doing everything he could to keep Sapnap alive. Karl didn't even care if he died, he just wanted to make sure Sapnap survived. Karl barely noticed Callahan killing the entity.

'Ant, Karl needs help! They are bleeding out.'

Callahan's text-to-speech called out. "Sapnap! Fucking stay with me! Someone, get Karl's bleeding under control and get him out here!" Ant seethed, his mind jumping. Karl struggled to sit up, "I'm... blee...ding?" His voice slurred before he collapsed, mind going black as he slipped into unconsciousness, the rose Callahan gave him still in hand.