Chapter 20

The Hub

Karl was caught off guard, like most others in the group. It took a moment but Karl soon realized that he recognized Red from a photo that Ant had shown him a few days after he got into the Backrooms. Sam's gaze softened. "I apologize then. Red, you are free to stay as long as you want." Sam dipped his head slightly, showing respect for the brunet. Red just waved Sam off light heartedly. "Don't worry about it."

Sam proceeded to introduce himself. Karl remained silent, standing there awkwardly. Foolish bounced their way over. "Hi Red! I'm Foolish!" The shark charm wearing person smiled warmly. Red just nodded and shook Foolish's hand. Ant brought Red around, having him meet everyone. Karl felt anxious flames flickering around in his stomach. He was sitting with Sapnap when Red and Ant walked over. "And Red, this is Karl and Sapnap!" Ant introduced, pointing to the men in question. Red smiled slightly, waving at them. "Hey Red! You got here recently, huh?" Sapnap hummed softly. Red just nodded. "Yeah. I met some... interesting creatures in this one place that was filled with pipes and shit." Red explained vaguely but Sapnap seemed to know exactly what Red was talking about. "Ah, Level 2. You met some entities! What did they look like?" Sapnap questioned.

"It was just a few but they looked like this feral human but on all fours like a damn dog! Dark hair covered their faces!" Red shivered slightly. Karl knew all too well how terrifying a hound can be. He knew fear well. He became very acquainted with it. The feeling of adrenaline pricking at his veins, being the only thing to keep him going.

Karl had seen what horrors the Backrooms had to offer. But he knew there was more. There would always be more to find. Things lurking behind each corner. Things that could rip someone to shreds. Things that could eat someone alive. Karl shivered at every thought that crossed his mind. Everything in the Backrooms was terrifying. Karl hated it. Karl despised it.

Karl just wanted to go back to the Frontrooms. Karl wanted to go home. He wanted to be surrounded by his friends and family. But deep down he knew he would more than likely never see them again. Karl sat down on the desolate train tracks, the only thing to ease his mind was his new friends, whose voices he heard faintly with various differing conversations. But Karl kept himself to his thoughts. He sat there, knees to his chest, arms wrapped around his legs, head down in dark solitude. Karl drifted off into his mind.

Karl found himself in a white castle. Karl looked around the beautiful building. He loved it. It became one of his only comforts since entering the Backrooms. His one true escape. He ran his hands against the smooth walls, humming songs to himself. Near silent ticking echoed through the halls with no discernible source. Karl bounced along, smiling to himself. He felt like nothing could stop him.

He wandered and wandered, losing his grasp on reality. His mind felt like it was floating. The weightless feeling soon became unnerving as he felt eyes on him. Was he being watched? Was someone here? Something? Was it something or someone? Karl's heart began pounding in his chest, threatening to break through his ribcage. Tears blurred his vision as his thoughts raced.

"Wha... What the hell?" Karl dropped to the ground with a thud, wrapping his arms around himself. He felt his body being shaken.

"Karl? Karl! Earth to Karl, come in!" Sapnap's voice broke into his mind, waking him from his rest. "What's going on? What happened?" Karl's voice hitched, sitting up. Behind Sapnap was Punz, who seemed worried. "You fell asleep here and suddenly just... ragdolled... It looked like you died sitting up!" Sapnap seemed relieved that Karl was alive. The brunet just looked away and scratched his arm awkwardly. "Uh... hm... yeah no I- I'm awake.." Karl tried to shake the sleep that clouded his mind but it did nothing. Sapnap and Punz seemed to notice. "Punz. Go grab some Almond Water please." Sapnap asked, sitting next to Karl.

Punz chuckled, "Only because you asked hun." The blond walked off before Sapnap could respond. The raven turned to look at Karl. "You still don't know what insanity feels like do you?" Sapnap asked, resting a hand on Karl's shoulder. Karl looked at Sapnap and shook his head. Punz came walking back, Almond Water and a small ziploc bag in hand. When Punz got closer Karl could see what was inside that bag. It was oyster crackers. "Hey Bad told me that you should probably eat something to help with any possible lasting hunger you might feel." Punz said, handing the items to Karl, who took them with a polite nod.

"Thank you Punz." Karl offered a quick smile. Punz just nodded and walked off to do only-Punz-knows what. Karl opened the bottle of Almond Water and drank some before munching on some of the crackers. Sapnap decided to snag one quickly. Karl jokingly pouted in response before speaking. "You stole my cracker."