Chapter 29

Level 285: Mercury Coast

Ant woke the next morning, still in the damp cave. Air caught in Ant's lungs as the smell of mildew twisted his senses. He shook his head slightly, cringing at the headache he had. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have anything for that. Sam sat up from where he lay with Ponk. They were close. Ant smiled at Sam, who returned the favour. "Morning Ant." Sam huffed, yawning.

"Good morning Sam. How was your night?" Ant asked, stretching out his aching limbs. "Pretty good. Ponk was cold last night so I warmed him up." Sam shrugged. "That's cute." Ant chuckled much to Sam's annoyance. "It's not."

"Sounds like how Red would explain to his parents why me and him were cuddling when we first started dating." Ant grinned. Sam feigned annoyance before smiling at Ant. "You and Red seem so happy together. How do you guys do it?" Sam asked, genuinely wondering.

"I don't know. This might sound cringe but, the power of love I guess." Ant chuckled. Sam just smiled. "Don't let anyone else know what I'm about to tell you. They wouldn't let me live it down. I envy your relationship with Red. I've always wanted a strong and stable relationship. What advice do you have?" Sam sighed, looking at Ant.

Ant shrugged, "I don't have any advice, sorry.". The two sat in silence for a moment. "I guess, keep the person you love close. Don't take any moment for granted. Show them that you care for them but don't smother them, unless they want you to." Ant said after a few moments of thought.

"Love sounds complicated. Too complicated." Sam huffed, rubbing his arm. "Yeah, it is, but it can be fulfilling!" Ant smiled. "But, I just don't get it." Sam put his head in his hands. Ant went silent for a moment, when he spoke his voice was closer to a whisper. "What do you mean Sam?"

"I don't know what it feels like... to be attracted to someone... It just escapes me as a concept, you know?". Ant thought for a moment, "Do you think you might be asexual?" Ant questioned.

Sam just shrugged, "I dunno man. I think so?". Ponk cut their conversation short by moving closer to Sam. Ant looked at Sam's pink tinged cheeks, chuckling. "I think Ponk is your mind's exception.". "Sh-she's just a friend, Ant. Ponk's just a good friend of mine." Sam seemed defensive. "Alright, sorry. I just... I just noticed something about how your expression changed drastically when he moved."

"What are you guys talking about?" Ponk's voice showed how sleep deprived they were. "Oh, just something stupid." Sam chuckled, ruffling Ponk's hair. He chuckled at Sam's contact and sat up, leaning against the green haired man. Ant smiled softly. He knew what was going on. Or he thought he knew. He wasn't sure. He could just be imagining it.

But the conversation confused Ant. Sam's defensiveness. The fond look. Everything.

Ranboo perked his head up suddenly. "We need to get off this island!". The three looked at the split haired teen. "What do you mean? Why?" Ponk asked, she seemed on edge, highly on edge. "I don't... I just have a feeling, okay? We just need to go!" Ranboo climbed his way out of the cave entrance. Ant quickly woke Quackity up and dragged the tired man out. As everyone moved their ways out and to the coast, Ranboo froze, "I-I can't do it." He said, a look of fear in his eyes as he stared at the water. He'd ditched his sunglasses into his bag the night before. "Ranboo, it's just water. Let's go!" Sam urged. A boat could be seen in the distance from the far side of the island. Ranboo reluctantly placed his foot into the water, his breath hitching, fear ebbing off of him.

"Ranboo we need to go! Come on!" Quackity snarled. Ant put his hand up, signalling for everyone to be quiet. "Ranboo, look at me. Breathe okay? It's okay. I know you're scared but we need to get out of here. I promise, everything will be okay. Just imagine the water as a large lake of your favourite thing."

"F-feathers... I like feathers... they.. They're soft and.. and..." Ranboo trailed off. "Then imagine that the water is feathers." Ant urged. Ranboo nodded and he stepped further into the water. The group moved quickly through the water. With a quick glance back, Ant saw what their fates could have been if Ranboo didn't urge them to leave. The boat contained a large group of facelings who were destroying their island. Ant urged the group to move faster.

Ant didn't want to die. He had promised Red that if they died, it'd be side by side.