Chapter 31

The Hub

Bad handed Karl a bottle of Almond Water. Karl took the bottle but wasn't planning on drinking it quite yet. Karl sat there, not paying any attention to his surroundings. He didn't care. He just wanted the expedition group to come back. He wanted to go home. He wanted the group to return home safely. Their homes in the frontrooms anyways. He wished it wasn't the backrooms that brought them together. A minecraft server would've been a better way to come together.

Karl looked around as Bad walked away. He wondered where the expedition group had gone. It's been around a month since they'd left and Karl began to lose hope. "Bad wait." Karl spoke up. Bad turned on his heel and looked at Karl.

"Yeah Karl?" Bad walked over, his boots clicking against the cold floor. "Do you think everyone's okay? I mean... i-it's been a month and they still aren't back." Karl sighed, scratching his forearm. "Sam has the confidence and strength to survive. Ponk is smart and can outsmart anyone here. Ranboo may be fierce but he lets his fear get in the way." Bad thought for a moment.

"Ant is quick, as you know, and he'll do everything in his power to save someone's life, even if it risks his own. Quackity may be impulsive and brash but he has the strength to lead an expedition and defend those he cares about. I don't know much about Illumina but he's survived on his own for this long." Bad smiled.

Karl looked away briefly. He had no clue what to say, so he said nothing. "If it makes you feel any better I can have Sapnap sit with you. You guys seem really close." Bad offered.

"If you want." Karl shrugged, leaning against the wall with a sigh. Pain still tingling in his arms. He still hadn't fully recovered from the hound attack. Bad walked off towards where Sapnap was. Sapnap had been sitting with Punz and Foolish. Karl didn't pay attention to what Bad said but soon Sapnap began walking over to Karl with Punz and Foolish trailing after. "Karl! We're coming to bother you!" Sapnap grinned, sitting down in front of Karl.

"Hey man! How are you holding up?" Punz asked, sitting down as well. Foolish wasn't far behind as they sat down. "I'm tired." Karl huffed. "I stole some of Quackity's uno cards if you're up for a game." Sapnap said, holding them up.

"Remember what happened last time we played uno? You ended up cutting Punz's eye." Karl chuckled. But it was then Red's voice dragged their attention away from the uno cards. "Holy shit! You guys are back!" Red yelled, wrapping his arms around Ant. Ant loosely returned the hug but cast a glance to Karl. Karl looked at the group but didn't see Illumina or Sam. "Red, I'll be right back, I have a promise to fulfil." Ant chuckled and pulled away. As Ant walked over, Sam burst in through the door to Level 1. It just made Karl worry. Where was Illumina?

Ant crouched down beside Karl. "Illumina said he had to go back out on his own but he wanted me to give you this." Ant said, pulling Illumina's black cloak from his bag. Karl carefully took the cloak and put it on. Karl sat there, having not noticed the newcomer. "Hey Karl, Sap, Punz, Foolish. There's someone new to the group." Ant smiled.

The person walked over, they had large platform boots, adding to their already tall stature. Their hair was pulled into a small ponytail that rested over their shoulder. A black skirt that fell slightly under their knees. "Hello, I'm Eret.".

"Hey Eret! I'm Karl! It's nice to have a new member!" Karl's voice was chipper like normal. Almost as if he wasn't in pain. But he was.

Ant lead Eret around, introducing her to everyone. Wilbur seemed to watch closely after hearing Eret's voice. Wilbur was sitting with Tommy and Tubbo but the three didn't say anything. Ant introduced Eret to them soon enough as they were the last people. Eret sat with the other brits and the four began talking amongst themselves. The only thing Wilbur said that Karl heard was,

"Would you like to join our new group?"