Chapter 9

Level 83: Field of Roses

Ant looked at the two bleeding men that lay at either side of him. Tears streamed down his face, worrying that he'd lose them. He didn't want anyone to die, not while he could still help. He knew these wounds were beyond his skill set but he tried. He pushed himself to keep them alive, sewing so many injuries that reminded him way too much of him sewing Dream's throat up. That left a permanent image ingrained in his mind of a moment he didn't want to relive.

He grasped at the crumbling state of his mind and these two young men's lives. He couldn't lose them. He wouldn't lose them. "Ant, they've lost too much blood. Just leave them at this point." Sam tried to no avail. Ant turned to look up at Sam, a wildfire of determination burning in his eyes.

"As long as there's air in my lungs, blood pumping in my heart, and signals in my brain, I won't stop. I can't stop." Ant seethed, turning back to his patients, his friends. He worked and worked. Blood drenched his clothing and covered his hands in a sickening display. There was even blood on his glasses. He could've sworn that Karl and Sapnap had died if it wasn't for him seeing their hearts beating through their broken rib cages. He could hear their hearts being in slow sync, trying desperately to send blood through the torn veins.

Ant was determined to keep them alive until there was absolutely nothing he could do. Until their lives had to be left to fate. Ant only had what skills he'd gotten in the Backrooms from aiding peoples wounds when he was just a lone wanderer and what he had from health class. As Sapnap's heart stopped for the second time before starting back up, a hand touched Ant's shoulder. "Let him go, Ant." Sam tried again, just for the same result. "If you think I'm about to let him die, you can fuck off, Sam!" Ant turned, twisting Sam's arm, a crunching sound could be heard as Sam's arm started breaking. "Ant let go!" The man hissed, trying to yank back. Once Ant let go, Sam fell back with a thud. "What's going on with you Ant? Why are you doing this? Just let them go! Callahan, Quackity, you two are with me right? They'll die here anyways! I tried to keep them away from the house but they didn't listen!" Sam seemed nervous. It was rare for him to appear afraid of something.

Ant's breathing was rough and ragged. He felt mildly relieved when Quackity shook his head no and Callahan began typing.

'No Sam. That's insane. You are insane. They are just as human as you and me. How can you be so damn heartless? Is it because they are "worthless to the group" now? A "burden"? They deserve to have a chance. So shut the fuck up.'

Sam seemed shocked and just kind of backed off. "Sam get your ass over here. I'm not just going to let your arm heal on its own, I'm not that big of a jackass." Ant groaned, grabbing stuff for a makeshift splint. Sam reluctantly stuck his broken arm out towards Ant, letting the brunet put the splint on his arm. "Why not a cast? You know that's the proper way to dress a broken arm." Sam questioned. "Shut up, you are lucky I'm putting anything on it in the first place." Ant groaned before turning back to his patients but soon realized he'd already done all he could and it would just be up to fate. "We need to get us all somewhere safe. Quackity and Callahan, grab Karl. Sam, I don't care that your arm is broken, just help me get Sapnap."

Ant picked up Sapnap's upper half, leaving Sam to pick up his lower half. Sapnap's chest and side had been sewn up and the bleeding had stopped. Ant still felt Sapnap's heart beating, and it seemed to have worked. Ant looked over to Quackity and Callahan who held Karl's unconscious body and the group started walking. They had to get back to the hub. If Ant could get them to Bad, they'd be able to work together to do even more to save Sapnap and Karl.

Ant noticed that Karl and Sapnap both were still holding the roses that Callahan gave them. In fact, the roses weren't even damaged. Ant had been too caught up with his argument with Sam to even notice that Callahan had folded the men's arms like they'd died, keeping their roses in hands. Ant was impressed, to say the least. "You did a good job, Callahan." Ant stated proudly, leaving no context for Sam and Quackity. Callahan smiled and mouthed the words 'Thank you Ant.'.

Callahan seemed pleased someone finally took notice of the small sign of respect they had for Sapnap and Karl. The two men who helped Callahan find people so they didn't end up a Wretch. Callahan did it out of respect in case the two ended up dying, he wanted them to at least be in a respectful position.