Chapter 18

HEY AUTHOR'S NOTE BEFORE WE GET INTO THIS CHAPTER! WE HAVE A DISCORD SERVER!  It's still in progress but people are allowed to join while we and our mod work together to get everything set up! Next chapter (Chapter 19) will have an update on our progress of it! If it isn't complete, we will let everyone know when it is when that chapter comes! Feel free to join it now! https://discord.gg/gb7XsWJ5c9

Level 69: Hilbert's Motel

Karl got up finally from where he sat next to Ant. "I'm going to check on the group, see how everyone is doing. Stay safe Ant!" Karl's voice was friendly and Ant just nodded, still concentrated on what he was doing. Karl chuckled and left the room, looking around for anyone of their expedition group but only saw Callahan and Illumina.

Karl could easily tell Callahan was doing just fine. They seemed content with playing jenga. Where Callahan got the jenga blocks, no one knows. Karl walked over to Illumina. "Hey Illumina. What are you up to?" Karl asked. Illumina looked up from his book. "Just relaxing. It's been a while since I've sat down and just existed." Illumina chuckled softly. Karl smiled in response and sat down across from him. Illumina closed his book after sliding a bookmark between the pages. He looked at Karl before speaking. "So how are you doing Karl?" Illumina asked, stretching out his legs with a groan. Karl had to think about that, eventually coming up with a dark joke for a response.

"I'm happy but I could be imagining that." Karl chuckled. Illumina's eyes went wide as he mumbled a quiet 'oh' before chuckling, realizing it was a joke. Illumina and Karl shared a laugh about it. Eventually Karl looked at Illumina. "How about you?"

Illumina smiled warmly, "I've been good. Just kind of existing!" Illumina chuckled softly. Karl giggled slightly. "You're pretty chill Illumina! You should join the group for the long run!" Karl offered but Illumina shook his head.

"Karl, I'm sorry but my place isn't with a colony or outpost. I'm meant to be out on my own or with one or two other people. My main goal is to get out of here quickly. Being in a group just isn't my place." Illumina explained. Karl nodded solemnly before responding with, "I get that. Honestly, I wouldn't have survived ten minutes if it wasn't for the group. I almost died as soon as I no clipped in here. If it wasn't for Sapnap and Dream, I would have died. I owe them my life." Karl couldn't help but tell Illumina who seemed caught off guard by such a confession.

"Some people, like you, are meant to be surrounded by others. People like me are meant to be on their own. Rely on no one but themself but help others when they can. I'll visit The Hub every once in a while after I head out again. You'll see me again, that I can guarantee." Illumina rested a hand on Karl's shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze.

"But, Illumina, how can you be so sure you won't die somewhere?" Karl asked. Illumina looked at him and smiled softly. "I'm confident in my abilities and if I do die," Illumina went silent for a moment. "It was fate." His voice was soft as he shrugged, acting like what he just said was no big deal.

Karl looked down. "But aren't you afraid of dying somewhere, all alone? With no one by your side in your final moments?" Karl asked, knowing just how dark his question must have come across when he noticed a darker haze float within Illumina's near black gaze. "I never really thought about that if I'm going to be completely honest with you Karl." Illumina huffed darkly, looking at the ground and fidgeting with his hands. "But like I said, I have enough faith in my abilities to survive." Illumina's voice was confident.

Karl wanted to doubt that but he couldn't find it in himself to. He trusted Illumina about this. Karl put his trust in people quickly. He didn't know why. Maybe he had issues when it came to trusting people, Karl surmised.

Karl looked at Illumina and before he could think, he gave Illumina a hug. It took Illumina a moment but he soon hugged back. The raven's grip was strong but he was the first to pull away. "You are always welcome in our group, you can stay with us as long as you need. You helped us, we'll help you." Karl stated. Illumina smiled, "I appreciate that. Like I said, I'll probably hang around for a few weeks. I do need to rest. I can't even deny that." Illumina chuckled warmly, giving Karl a playful shove.