Chapter 21

Level 47: Interrogative Infohazard

Karl gripped Sapnap's sleeve. "You're coming with me." Karl's voice was chipper as he began dragging the raven off. Sam just stared at the two, trident in hand, and looking rather intimidating. Ant stood beside, cat hoodie desperately needing to be cleaned and jeans ripped in various places. Red stood next to them, much closer to Ant. Karl rationalised that that made quite a lot of sense.

Quackity was walking away with Foolish trailing after. And finally, Dream, Callahan, Wilbur, and Tommy. They stood around awkwardly. It's almost as if none of them knew where to start in this extensive set of drywall. Karl and Sapnap just decided to work together to organize it, much to Sam's annoyance.

"So Quackity and Foolish are going that way." Sapnap vaguely gestured towards the two. "And Dream, you go with them!"

"Tommy, you too." Sam said, much to Tommy's dismay. Tommy tried to argue. "I don't want to be with that green bastard!" The boy's voice was defensive but Sam ignored it. "Just go Tommy. Quackity and Foolish will be with you. Sapnap looked to Karl for a moment before looking at Callahan, who was playing with a small reindeer toy they'd pulled from their pocket. "Callahan, you're coming with us!" Sapnap smiled. Callahan turned and smiled back, walking over.

That left Sam, Red, Ant, and Wilbur. "And you four will stick together. We need to learn what is here." Sapnap decides, bringing his hands together and forcing a smile. Sapnap pulled Karl and Callahan away before the four could argue.

Sapnap, Karl, and Callahan walked, two of them not noticing Callahan typing something out.

"What if I told you both that I think this level is bizarre?"

Callahan's TTS program spoke the question. As Sapnap shrugged and Karl failed to understand why it was a question, Callahan began typing again.

"What if I told you this is Level 47? Would you believe me if I told you that it poses a memetic hazard and any information pertaining to it, when typed out, becomes a question without the writer realizing it?"

So that's why Callahan is speaking in questions. They can't speak, and they need to type things out. Karl thinks over this knowledge. Before asking Callahan a real question. "Callahan, what entities are here?"

"How would you feel if I told you there aren't any documented entities?"

Karl smiled and chuckled, "I'd feel relieved!" Karl answered despite Callahan not intending their answer to be a question all of their own. The three of them explored, travelling the area.

"Guys, what if I told you that certain stairwells and doorways may lead us to Level 0, Level 4, Level 103, Level 153, Level 160, or Level 194?"

"Then I'd say Level 194 would probably be a better bet. We know Level 0 and Level 4 are safe and checking Level 194 could help us learn more and it's more than likely safe!" Sapnap looked around for anything that could lead there. Karl shrugged and smiled, "Sounds good to me! Callahan?" Karl turned his attention to the brunet. Callahan's royal blue gaze cast up to Karl and Sapnap before they went and began typing.

"What if I told you that sounds good despite possible danger? lol"

Callahan clearly had intentions of making that a question, the smile on their face being very evident of that. Ant and Red entered the room without Sam and Wilbur. "What the hell?" Red looked around and Ant had silent confusion. Sapnap looked at them before speaking, "Weren't you guys with Sam and Wilbur?"

"We were but we were inspecting something and they continued walking without us. We went to follow them but we ended up here." Ant explained. "Are you sure you guys went the same way as they did?" Sapnap pointed out.

"We are very sure! It was a hallway. There were only two ways to go! Where they went, and where we came from! This fucking place is a hell hole!" Red yelled, wrapping his arms around himself as he began muttering various curse words. "Fucking shit... fuck... fuck... god fucking dammit!" Red's breathing picked up and Ant quickly grabbed a bottle from his bag, presumably filled with Almond Water.

"Red, breathe with me." Ant grabbed Red's hand and guided the brunet's breathing. "Red it's alright. I promise. Look at me, look at me." Ant moved his hand to the side of Red's face. "Ant how the fuck are you so damn calm?!" Red looked into Ant's eyes.

"I've been here too long to not be used to this. So please listen to me. It's going to be okay!" Ant soothed. Red wiped the tears that were running down his cheeks with a shaky hand. Red soon calmed down and they went on. The, now five, eventually found a door at the other side of the room they found themselves in. Upon Callahan's inspection, they found the number '194' inscribed on the door knob.

"What if I told you that I found a door here with the numbers '194' on the door knob? How would you feel if I said it might lead to Level 194?"

Red and Ant looked at Callahan, confused why they were saying that as a question. Only Red decided to ask. "Why are you speaking in constant questions?". "Callahan explained it earlier but any information about this level, when typed out, becomes a question without the writer noticing. They can't help it." Karl explained.

"Well then why isn't he speaking?" Red groaned. "Callahan uses they/them pronouns." Ant corrected his boyfriend politely. Red quickly understood and turned to Callahan and corrected himself, "Sorry Callahan." Red moved to view the group. "Why aren't they speaking?".

Callahan removed their bandana, revealing the scar on their neck. Sapnap is the one to respond. "Callahan got attacked by an entity which ended up with their vocal cords being destroyed."

Sapnap paused for a moment before speaking again. "If you don't know what an entity is quite yet, I don't remember if anyone explained it to you, an entity is basically the collective name for any creature in the Backrooms, where we are. Some people who don't learn the terms call them monsters and creatures but they have names and are collectively referred to as entities." Sapnap explained.

Red didn't know how to respond and just nodded before looking at Callahan, "I'm sorry Callahan, I didn't know."

"It's okay Red! No one told you before."

Callahan's smile was genuine and they began putting their bandana back on. "So, shall we go to Level 194?" Karl chirped with a smile, trying to ease the new found tension. "Yeah! Let's go!" Ant's voice was just as enthusiastic as Karl's. The group opened the door and stepped inside.