Chapter Twenty-One

Lorena's POV
After the initial shock and bombarding of questions, I was able to explain.

"When I was a little girl, about 5 or 6 years old, Renee had taken me and fled the United States, leaving Bella with Charlie here in Forks. I'm not quite sure why Renee felt the need to do that, but there were rumors circulating years later in the family, Renee's side, that the reason she had done it was because she was in a lot of trouble with the law here for drugs and alcohol distribution to minors and had wanted to get out of the country. She knew that if she took Bella, the daughter of the local prominent police chief, then there would be a lot more suspicion and accusations in the community than if she just took me. I'm not really Charlie's daughter. He just adopted me when I was born so that no one in the family would know the truth, that Renee was a lying, cheating, substance-abusing, child-abusing, two-faced whore.

Renee beat the shit out of me and neglected my needs all the time when I was a child, she hated me and let her boyfriends use me for their pleasure and entertainment. Bella doesn't remember any of this because it never went on when she was around because Renee was terrified of Charlie finding out and taking legal action against her to get me out of there. But, while we were in Volterra, I wandered out of the house one evening while Renee was passed out drunk on the couch, and as I was wandering, I somehow ended up close to the castle. I can't remember if I was right outside the castle walls or if I was a few miles from it, but I do remember that it was a chilly night because of it being the middle of Autumn. I was in the middle of a clearing of trees and I had tripped over a rock and scraped my leg on the forest floor. I was miserable.

It was cold that night. I was cold, I was hungry, I didn't have a suitable jacket or even proper shoes and then I was bleeding, my whole appearance was messy and neglected. I began to cry and out of the darkness, there came two hooded figures. One of them came close to me and tried to scoop me up into their arms, but I was very shy back then and I screamed, beginning to panic and struggle. The figure removed their hood and it was Jane. Her twin brother, Alec, was with her. They quietly murmured to each other for a few seconds before coming to the agreement that they would take me back to the castle and see what the Three Kings thought of me. Alec remarked how much my scent, the smell of my blood in my veins that had led them to me in the first place, smelled familiar. When they brought me back to the castle, Aro, Caius, and especially Marcus all managed to somehow pale even more than they already were as Marcus croaked out one question with his raspy, unused voice.

'Catarina, is it really you my daughter?'

My blood must've smelled very familiar to them or something because Aro sat straight up in his throne, a look of utter disbelief on his face as he said that he did believe I was Catarina Adriana-Contessa Volturi, Marcus's daughter that disappeared from the castle one night at 6 months old. I learned that Renee had lied to me about who I was and what my heritage, what my lineage, really is. I'm just like Nahuel, I'm just like Renesmee and I'm also like baby Elena in that I am a hybrid. I'm half-human half-vampire, but I was different in that I would age like a normal human child until the age of 18 and then I would stop aging. The cancer killed me, yes, but even if Carlisle hadn't have changed me when he did, I wouldn't have been dead for long anyway because of my vampire genes I would have regenerated and my body would heal itself at an accelerated rate and I would become a full vampire with or without being bitten by Carlisle. Renee really was my mother, but Marcus Volturi, I have no idea how the two of them met at all, is my father and the Volturi is my family because of it. Renee renamed me "Lorena Bentlee Swan" when she left Volterra with me the first time so that Marcus wouldn't be able to track her or us, but my real name, my birth name, my Volturi dark royalty name is Catarina Adriana-Contessa Volturi and I'm technically the Princess even though I don't live like one." I finished my explanation and looked around at Vladimir, Bella, Jasper, and Renesmee's shocked looks. It was a lot for anyone to take in, I know I definitely struggled with the truth at first.

"I didn't even know Marcus has a daughter or that the Volturi knew about you and kept you a secret in the vampire world." Vladimir said after his shock wore off.

"I heard rumors circulating in the vampire world that Marcus had fathered a child 16 years ago, but I didn't really believe it. Aro and Carlisle have always been close, so Aro called Carlisle the night the child had been born and told him." Jasper added, sort of shrugging his shoulders at the end to show he wasn't that surprised to hear that I was Marcus's child.

Bella looked shaken by this information, but at the same time, she had also seemed to accept it when she smiled and said "I always knew that there was something different about you when we were growing up, Lorena."

I gave a small smile and just nodded at her.

Jasper's POV
As I watched my little sister with my baby girl, I couldn't help but smile. The scene was adorable; Lorena was holding a sleeping Elena, who I was considering calling either "Lanie" or "Ellie" as a nickname and Renesmee had climbed into my lap at some point and had dozed off, breathing gently and sleeping with her head buried in my chest as I kept my arms wrapped around her to prevent her from falling should she shift.

Bella's head was leaning against my shoulder and she was running her fingers the best she could at this angle through Nessie's hair, getting the tangles out of her rich chocolate-colored locks. I turned my head and placed a gentle, chaste kiss on Bella's lips, she kissed back and pulled away, causing us to breathe each other's unneeded air for a minute as she rested her forehead against mine and I brushed my lips across hers again.

Bella and I would have to discuss the final step of completing our mating bond, but that could wait until later. Right now, I was focused on watching Reyna with little Ellie, the way she was very gently caressing Ellie's cheek with one finger while the infant slept, caressing so delicately as if she was afraid Ellie would break if she did one thing wrong.

That's when I noticed Vladimir gently rubbing Lorena's tummy with his hand and I felt the waves of longing for a child coming from him. I just smiled and kept watching my surroundings.

I finally had what I always wanted: a family.