Chapter Twenty-Two

Vladimir's POV
We had left the Cullens two weeks ago after many heartfelt goodbyes and tears. Lorena and I were traveling with Jasper, Bella, Nessie, and Ellie. Traveling with a baby to Jasper's place of birth, Houston, Texas, wasn't easy but we managed. Bella was the only vampire in our group still feeding on animal blood. Reyna, Jas, and I had all been feeding on human blood and even Reyna has said that human blood tastes better and felt more natural to her than animal blood because she wasn't getting fur stuck between her fangs anymore.

Jasper had called up his old coven mates, Peter and Charlotte, and we would be meeting them in Houston and then going to Galveston, Texas. We were in Salt Lake City, Utah, staying in a hotel for a few nights to allow the little girls to rest since we had been traveling on foot.

I watched as Lorena, Elena, and Nessie slept. The little girls had been staying with Bella and Jasper in a separate room that connected to mine and Lorena's through a door, but Bella and Jasper had decided they needed some "private time" together, so we moved Ellie's bassinet that was designed for traveling into our room and Nessie was sleeping in the bed with Lorena. I didn't need to sleep, so I just sat on the couch in the living room area and read a book, getting up to check on the girls every so often.

Call me paranoid, but I like to make sure my family is safe.

It was making sure they were safe and sound in their beds, but it was also making sure that Bella and Jasper's rather loud lovemaking coming through the wall wasn't waking them up. These walls aren't exactly thick and Bella's loud, louder than Reyna when we fool around. Not only were the little girls tired even though they both slept in our arms during the day and woke back up by the time the sun set, but Lorena was also very tired from not sleeping for two weeks even though I tried to hold her and rock her to sleep during the day. The reason why she hadn't slept was because she was high-strung from everything with Edward and Alice, but also from Port Angeles and Seattle. After the....incident in those two cities, Lorena had become paranoid and, at times, distant from the rest of us. She had had horrible nightmares for several weeks after it. I feel horrible about it because I know it's my fault she's having sleeping troubles and PTSD. If I hadn't have cheated on her with Stefan, who is now dead, she wouldn't have gone through that ordeal, she wouldn't have had to.

It had taken me several hours, but I finally got her to bed while Jasper and Bella handled Renesmee and Elena.

Suddenly, Lorena's phone rang. She had left it on the table in our hotel room and I didn't feel right looking at the caller ID, it felt like an invasion of my mate's privacy. I tried to ignore it, but the incessant high-pitched voices of some boy band finally got on my last nerve and I couldn't stand it anymore. I picked up the phone and saw that it was Alice calling, causing me to have to suppress a growl that would wake up the girls and I flipped the phone open.

"What do you want, Alice?" I snapped as I answered.

"Hello Vladimir, is Lorena there?" Alice asked in a sickly sweet voice and I growled a low growl into the phone.

"She's asleep right now and I have no intentions of waking her up, she needs to rest. What do you want, pixie?" I spoke in a low, threatening voice. I smirked as I could hear her swallow nervously on the other end of the phone before she answered.

"I was just calling to tell her to watch her back. I've had a vision recently and in it, you will run into a couple of less than polite vampires." There it was again, that damn arrogant tone was back in her voice.

"Now you listen to me and you listen good, you two-cent, back-stabbing harlot, no harm is going to come to Lorena or anyone else in our unit for that matter. I won't let it, your call is unappreciated and unnecessary. Good night, Alice." I replied, gritting my teeth and hung up before the bitch could get a word in.

I set the phone down on the coffee table and when I turned around, I jumped as I realized that at some point, Lorena had come into the room and was standing in the middle of the room, eyes heavy with sleep as she rubbed at an eye with one pale fist and yawned, her other arm dropped by her side.

"Hello Princess, Daddy didn't see you there or sense you were awake. Is everything okay, Princess? Why are you up?" I spoke gently, going over to her and picking her up as she wrapped her arms around my neck, her legs wrapped around my waist, and her head buried in my neck, taking in my scent.  She hadn't said a word and remained silent as I sat down with her on the couch. Apparently she was feeling nonverbal tonight, which meant I was going to have to rely on body language to communicate with her. She got like this sometimes where she wouldn't talk at all and would use actions and body language to communicate with others. Usually it was only if she was upset or sleepy and right now, she was sleepy, so I could understand her not wanting to talk.

I smiled as I felt her leaving butterfly kisses on my neck.

"Now I know you're sleepy, Princess. You're giving me butterfly kisses. Close your eyes and go back to sleep, baby girl. I'll hold you all night long and you can sleep in my arms, Lorena." I said, beginning to rub her back with one hand, using the other one to cradle the back of her head.

I began to hum a soft tune and rock slightly with her and after a few minutes, I felt her breathing even out and I knew she was asleep again. I sighed as I moved to an armchair in the corner with Lorena still in my arms and got comfortable, opening up my book again and beginning to read from where I left off. After about half an hour though, I grew tired of the novel I was reading and marked my page, setting it down on the side table. I relaxed and cuddled the beautiful girl in my arms, brushing some of her beautiful chocolate locks out of her face and leaning down, kissing her on the cheek then on her forehead. I thought about how lucky but yet, undeserving I was, to have Lorena as my mate. Lorena has been nothing but good to me for the past few months and yet, I took advantage of that kindness and trust with my dead covenmate. I know that all of that is over now, but I still feel guilty and full of regret about it and I doubt I'll ever forgive myself even if Lorena has forgiven me.

I closed my eyes as if I was sleeping, but I was only resting. That's when I felt Lorena waking up again. What was up with her tonight? She never wakes up more than one time during the night. Lorena looked up at me with eyes still heavy with sleep.

"Why are you awake, Reyna? It's late, go back to sleep. Are you feeling alright, Princess?" I spoke softly, caressing her cheek with the back of my hand.

"Vladimir, I'm thirsty, I need blood." Lorena whispered, I could see in her eyes how thirsty she is, but it made no sense to me. We had just fed last night on some hitchhikers that wouldn't be missed, how could she be thirsty again? Unless she was......

No way. No fucking way. Yes, Lorena and I had fooled around more after leaving the Cullens and traveling with Bella, Jasper, and the little girls, but we hadn't gone the whole way. The furthest we had gone is I had rubbed the tip of my manhood up and down her slit one day, teasing her, but I hadn't actually entered her. Lorena still wasn't ready for that and I can wait, it's not a big deal. Even if some of the pre-ejaculate had gotten inside her, both of our reproductive systems are frozen, sterile, from being vampires, we can't reproduce. It's not physically or scientifically possible between Lorena and I, but then again, this is Lorena Swan we're talking about. She's one in a million, if she could sleep, then I suppose she could, in theory, conceive, but it can't possibly be that. Can it? No, it's not possible. It's something else, it has to be something else.

"Lorena, baby, we hunted last night. How are you thirsty again? That blood is supposed to hold you over, quench your thirst, for a little while until the next feeding." I replied. Lorena sat up and crossed her arms over her chest, lower lip poking out in a pout.

"Daddy, I want blood. How can you deny me blood?" She whined.

"Reyna, I'm not denying you. It's just that it's not time for the next feeding yet. You fed last night, you're fine."

"Daddy, I will go and get blood myself if you don't let me hunt and you know I will." She replied, her voice getting dangerously low as her dark red eyes, once gold, glittered with an evil tint.

"Fine, just be careful. Don't attract attention and don't kill conspicuously, don't feed on anyone who looks like they would be missed." I finally sighed, giving in, as Lorena kissed me, got her shoes on, and then left.

The things I do for this girl.