𝒙𝒊𝒊 ━ dear valentina

DEAR VALENTINA
by Monrox

— completed or on-going?: on-going

completed or on-going?: on-going

genre: fanfiction
universe: the marvellous mrs. maisel

short summary:
"in an extensive review: the same night her estranged friend goes on a drunken tirade about her husband's affairs on the gaslight stage, valentina king is arrested after having a nervous breakdown in her boss's office."

reader's notes:

  first of all, if you have amazon prime, i implore you to watch the marvellous mrs. maisel! it's such a funny and well-written show, with a fabulously talented cast and even more fabulous 1950s costumes. the fandom is so tiny on here and, while half of me likes gatekeeping it as a special little secret, it's such an underrated show in this sense and it deserves more love!

•  anyway, having gotten that out of the way, dear valentina is the one, singular mrs. maisel fic (with chapters) that i have stumbled across on this entire site... and HALLELUJAH, because it just so happens to be one of the best-written things i've ever read on wattpad! everything from the detailed descriptions to the incredibly witty dialogue is amazing — especially the latter, everything the author comes up with for the original parts of dialogue is so intelligently written, we need to sneak her into the writer's room for season 5 honestly...

•  one of the biggest things i appreciate is how much historical/cultural context of the 1950s she weaves in. even better, at the end of every chapter, she explains each point in detail and as a reader i've already learned a lot! she clearly does so much research for this story and it shows, because it adds to the authenticity so much.

• finally, one of the biggest hurdles in fan-fiction (at least for me) the author has jumped with ease, which is making your OC stand out and have a storyline that isn't just tagging along with canon characters. valerie's story is fleshed out brilliantly, in particular her struggles as a widow and the subsequent flashbacks to her life with her late husband are incredibly touching and unique. plus her growing dynamic with lenny is everything, obviously no spoilers here but i love them with all my heart AHHH

• so overall, please go check out this story! i'm highly invested in it right now 🥰