𝒙𝒊𝒙 ━ sweet melody

SWEET MELODY,
by stilestastic

— completed or on-going?: on-going

completed or on-going?: on-going

genre: fanfiction
universe: daisy jones & the six

shortened summary:
"aurora 'rory' marquez was a teenager with stars in her eyes and a book full of songs in her pocket when graham dunne approached her in 1968. he wanted to start a rock band and needed her help with songwriting techniques, so he invited her to the first practice in chuck loving's garage...

in 1997, rory is one of the people to sit down and tell the tale of daisy jones and the six. past and present conflate into one, the early days embellished with new insights from the band members that didn't exist before.

the truth of what happened to the band is one thing. but the story starts with rory."

reader's notes:

• *pretends to be shocked that i'm recommending another @/stilestastic story*

ohhh, rory marquez... i just wanna give you the biggest hug in the world 🥹 but seriously, rory is one of my favourite OCs i've come across in a fic! i'm always an advocate for characters who value softness of spirit, patience and kindness, and are maybe mistaken for being weak but have so much inner strength. sweet melody and rory as a character are a clear embrace and celebration of this trait.

• her dynamic with the band is also great — this fic has made me genuinely burst out laughing on multiple occasions, and that doesn't happen to me often, even with physical published novels! and don't get me started on how cute rory and warren are, EEK

• kristyn captures the settling/backdrop of pittsburgh and L.A. in the 60s/70s perfectly, and has clearly done her research when it comes to this aspect as well. as always, she deals with sensitive topics very carefully, and is always trying to be aware and include representation in a meaningful way.