thirty five

The longer we sat, observing Lily and monitoring her fluid intake- I noticed that Tate was extremely tired.

"Did you take that sleeping pill?" I asked her, pushing some of her hair behind her ear.

"Yeah" she exhaled slowly, making eye contact with me- her eyes almost blood red, much worse than when she first came in.

"Let me take your blood pressure-" "I'm fine" she immediately spoke out, but just me saying that caught Calum's attention.

"What's wrong?" Calum asked.

"Her eyes are just really red- it's probably from the sleeping pill I gave her but-" "better to be safe than sorry." He spoke, standing and grabbing a blood pressure cup.

"Guys I'm just tired-" she stopped speaking when I pulled her into my lap, hearing her exhale as she finally gave in, resting into my lap.

Calum put the cuff around her arm, getting a read from it before undoing it.

"It's a little elevated but nothing that concerns me." He nodded.

"Told you." Tate spoke, trying to get up, but I squeezed her tighter- making her relax into me again.

After just a few minutes of me holding her body into mine, she was asleep, making me realize that the pill worked for her well.

Lily had been asleep for a few hours, thankfully not throwing up any longer.

"Hey" Michael whispered as he came back from what he told me was his rounds.

"I explained everything to the chief and he said you could take the girls home for tonight if you want- I'll watch over your patients." He spoke to me.

"I can't ask you to do that-" "dude- stop arguing and take your girls home. You have five patients and I'm perfectly capable of treating them."

Therefore, I stopped arguing.

I woke up Tate, seeing her still red eyes, making me kiss her cheek.

"Let's go home, baby-" "it's not time" and spoke tiredly as she looked to her phone.

"Chief told me I could take the rest of the night off, let's go."

I carried Lily, holding Tate's hand as we walked out.

I insisted on driving, holding Tate's thigh as I did, herself watching the road intently.

"I love you" she spoke quietly, never even looking to me.

"I love you more" I told her, feeling her grab my hand.

"Never" I heard her mumble.

Oh but little did she know

I got them home and inside, Lily in bed before joining Tate in bed, feeling her cuddle into me.

"Thank you" she exhaled into my chest as I kissed her forehead.

"For what baby?" I asked calmly.

"Showing me what real love is"