Contender

Stiles was about to mention it but he didn't get any time.

One second everything seemed peaceful or as peaceful as they could be. Just him and Lydia, standing in an lonely street or that's what they thought.

The next second...

Stiles let out a cry as suddenly somehow he was on the ground, hands around his throat.

Crazed desperate eyes stared down at him.

What the hell?

He could hear Lydia yelling his name in the background as he clawed at the strangers face, trying desperately to get them off.

They were putting so much pressure on his neck it felt like they were going to break it!

Could he die again as a ghost?

It felt like he could.

The pressure suddenly vanished and Stiles scrambled to his feet, his brain just processing that Lydia had used her wail to slam the guy who had attacked him on to the ground next to him.

Stiles didn't know how he knew but a strange sense overwhelmed him as he looked at the guy, who seemed to still with shock, staring at Lydia.

He just knew.

"You-you're like me, your dead too" He said, his voice a little shaken from what had transpired.

Stiles moved closer to the guy who seemed a couple of years older than him but still quite young considering he was dead.

He was wearing an army uniform.

The guy didn't seem to hear Stiles and just stared at Lydia and said in shock "You can see us?"

Lydia didn't respond, looking at him warily and angrily. Stiles could tell she had another wail at the ready if needed.

"How did you do that? Why-"

Stiles interrupted, he wanted to know why he'd just been attacked out of nowhere! "Don't mind that! Why did you attack me?"

The stranger looked just as frustrated and retorted, glaring at him "Why wouldn't I? You're a contender! But you're not" He looked at Lydia and demanded "How are you involved in this? Why can you see us?!"

Lydia snapped "I don't know why you think I'd answer you when you just attacked my boyfriend!"

Then the stranger looked at both of them and let out a snort as he said "You don't know?" But he didn't elaborate and slowly got too is feet, as if not too startle them but then he just shook his head, he looked at them with something close to sympathy but without hesitation he ran.

"Stop!" Lydia yelled but Stiles put his arm up as a gesture to leave him.

He knew by that look that this stranger wasn't going to tell them anything else.

They watched him run until he vanished from sight.

What the hell just happened?

Lydia quickly went to his side.

"Are you okay?" She asked worriedly, her hand automatically went to touch his neck where he had been hurt but then she stopped, her hand hovering over him, she took a deep breath then tried to touch his neck yet like before it just went right through him.

Lydia sorrowful expression pulled on Stiles heart strings.

"He did it, so I hoped..." She said slowly.

Stiles grimaced a little at the reminder as he replied with a small shake of his head "His like me. I could sense it"

He added frowning, crossing his arms in irritation "I don't get why he'd attack me though"

Lydia said, preferring to distract herself with this current predicament, figuring out a problem, she could deal with that "He called you a contender, do you know what that means?"

Stiles shook his head "No clue"

"Lydia!"

Stiles stiffened as he saw the Pack coming into view, hurriedly walking towards her.

Lydia's realised of course! They had heard her wail! Why did she not think of that?!

Her heart rate started to quicken as they approached.

She glanced at Stiles, who was standing there, looking awkward...

She felt just as unsure...

Should she tell them?

Would they believe her?