It Had To Be

Azrael leaves them both to calm down and process what has happened recently. They stand outside Lydia's house, thinking over the days events.

Lydia glanced over to where Azrael used to be before he vanished as she said "You can't seriously be thinking we trust him, can you?"

"Course I don't but where else can we get information?" Stiles countered.

Lydia let out a sigh as she unlocked her door, she did unfortunately agree with that.

There's a strange silence as she invites Stiles up to her room. She can tell Stiles wants to say something but is holding it in.

It makes her feel uneasy.

As soon as she closes her door behind him she laid her eyes on him, he was staring out her window, not looking at her.

"Well, is there something you want to say?" She asked with a false smile.

"Lydia..." He started to say then trailed of, too hesitant to continue.

"What is it?" She prodded him.

There was a moment of silence then heaving a great sigh, Stiles turned to look at her, his expression a grim line.

"I was killed naturally. I...died a natural death. I don't think, whatever the prize is, I don't think it'll be my resurrection..."

Lydia narrowed her eyes at him.

Why was he so stuck on this?

"What else can it be?!" She retorted but then she added, her heart beating hard in her chest "Do...you not want to come back?"

Don't you want to be with me again? Was what she really wanted to ask but that felt too selfish to say.

"Of course I do!"

"Then what's the problem?!"

"Nothing-"

"Then why are you so against it?"

"I don't want you to get your hopes up Lydia!" Stiles snapped and she breathed deeply, processing what he'd said.

Of course she thought, even with all that happened to him, he'd be mainly worried about her feelings.

She said more calmly, trying to use logic in this situation, trying to reason with him "The prize must be something you all want, something everyone in your position would fight for and that's the only thing I can think of"

Stiles just shook his head as he said, fidgeting slightly, looking uneasy "It just feels wrong, that's all I can say"

His resurrection felt wrong? How could he say that?! To her it was the complete opposite to that!

Lydia could tell by his expression she wasn't going to change his mind.

But she couldn't think about what if he was correct?

Because what then?

She scowled, crossing her arms, glaring at him.

Lydia refused to even think about it.

"Well, if that's all you've got to say I'm going to get ready for bed"

There was clear hurt in Stiles eyes at her dismissal but she ignored it.

She ignored him leaving her room, leaving her alone to her thoughts.

Because she couldn't even think about the possibility of the prize not being resurrection.

Because that would mean... if the competition was over and there was no reason for him to be there any more. He was turned into a Reaper for this competition, possibly because of his connection to her but the reason behind the competition was unknown.

So when this was all over, he would likely go back to the natural order of things which was what Stiles likely was implying.

His death was natural so when someone died, their national destination was...the abyss.

She would never-

No, no, no!

Don't think like that!

She couldn't think like that!

The prize was his resurrection.

It had to be!