Broken Oath

Deaton turns around an with some hesitation he unlocks a door on the opposite side of the room that the pack hadn't noticed. It was almost identical colour to the wall.

He ushered them inside which leads to a smaller room which was full of odd creepy looking items with some plain tins with questionable things inside.

"Does this say unicorn eye balls or am I crazy?" Liam said, staring at one of the tins.

"I wish you were crazy" Stiles muttered not caring Liam couldn't hear him.

"Never mind that" Deaton said and everyone watched as he started unlocked a compartment that was in the corner which seemed to lead to another locked compartment then another, all this time Deaton was muttering something under his breath that would cause the strange compartments to unlock.

Finally he grabbed a large dusty brown ancient looking book and put it on a small table in front of them.

His hands were shaking.

"Are you okay?" Scott asked, worriedly however Deaton ignored him as he flicked through some of the pages before he finally landed on one.

"What you are describing does sound like reapers. Ghosts are when a soul is not collected and they roan around on earth, lost. Reapers collect souls and decide whether to keep them or to take them to the abyss"

Lydia looks at him, shocked "So you do know about all of this?"

Deaton said grimly "Other banshees who worked with Druids had contact with the other side. This book was created by them to inform us just in case we need to use this knowledge however there is something that doesn't make sense"

He taps his finger on a drawing in the book, the drawing was of a masculine faceless figure, a pear of large jet black wings sprawled from his back.

"All this time I've been saying Reapers but in this book it only refers to one Reaper. A unique being who takes souls, not a collective but one person. They are known by a lot of other names as well, death bringer, the grim reaper, god of death, or the Angel of death"

Stiles frowned, for some odd reason the name angel of death struck him as familer but he couldn't recall why.

He stared down at the faceless image in the book, it made his skin crawl yet he felt like he couldn't take his eyes of it..

"The powers they are exhibiting does in fact seem to be what the reapers abilities are however it is quite clear in the book that there is only meant to be one Reaper not many"

"So maybe the books just wrong?" Liam said, shrugging.

"That could be the case but I doubt it" Deaton said, he added looking at the pack intensely "You all need to take this very seriously, souls, reapers, life and death, these things shouldn't be meddled with"

Stiles huffed crossing his arms "It's not like we had a choice"

Not being heard was so annoying Stiles thought, the only acknowledged he got was from Lydia who glanced at him before she spoke up.

Lydia pushed more "But we need to help Stiles somehow, do you know anything about the competition he seems to be unknowingly in"

Deaton seemed to hesitate before he closed the book and put it back into his compartment as he said "I...don't"

"His so lying-" Stiles huffed and Lydia opened her mouth to question Deaton some more however Scott then interrupted "Okay, thanks for looking into this for us"

Deaton smiled then but the smile was strange, there was something wrong with it that Stiles couldn't figure out, including his tone of voice as he replied "It was a honour"

That seemed a bit too formal didn't it? Stiles wondered.

Scott hurried everyone out.

"Scott, we hardly got to ask him anything" Malia said, narrowing his eyes at him but Scott shook his head as he said carefully"He wouldn't have given us anything else, I know that look and besides couldn't you tell that something was wrong? Perhaps it be better if we give him some time, he might be ill or something"

Lydia has also noticed how strange Deaton was acting as she agreed with Scott "He did look like he wasn't feeling well"

Stiles unfortunately couldn't disagree but he did kind of want to go and force what Deaton was hiding but Lydia likely wouldn't agree to that.

The pack walked away from the vets feeling a little disappointed but they all hoped that could go back when he was feeling better.

Unfortunately for them everything was going get much worse. 

As soon as the pack left Deaton started to scramble for ingredients, swearing under his breath, his heart thudding hard in his chest...he wasn't going to make it!

Deaton looked down at his phone, a tear rolling down his cheeks.

His time was running out.