Part 2 Free Fall

Chapter 2

THE FREE FALL

AVI

The party was going well and Mickey was having fun. He looked relaxed with Paro stuck to his waist. They looked so happy together. 

They were his colleagues from the hospital and the closest thing to what he'd call friends. Avi wanted to feel happy for them but couldn't feel anything. He was feeling numb. Being around people in love pissed him off.

He'd had enough. Enough of the bullshit Ricky was putting him through. He felt nothing for him anymore, so, why couldn't he just end it?

Fellow had called from Maldives and complained that he couldn't get an erection. Said that he was thinking about Avi all the time!

'Well if that's the case then why did you marry the woman, you asshole?' He grumbled internally.

Avi's mind was just going in circles. Why had he put himself in this hole? He was a grown up. He should have known better. Why was he dating a guy still in the closet in this day and age?

He went outside. It was raining. His glasses fogged up.

The terrace garden looked beautiful tonight. This was his favorite part of Club Eternity. The lush green romantic rooftop garden. He'd originally planned the party here. But they had to move it indoors thanks to the rains.

The air felt muggy after the chilly aircon inside the pub. He sat inside the gazebo. The terrace had ferns hanging everywhere, palms and other potted plants created discrete boundaries between seats.

Now the wrought iron chairs were turned over on the tables. The place was shrouded in darkness. Just the faint glow of the night sky and the lights falling from the pub windows shone on the wet stone floor.

He took a deep soothing breath, drawing in the earthy smell of wet vegetation. It was the perfect spot for romance, he thought. He found the perfect place but why couldn't he find the perfect person?

"I'm 36 this year and still with no one by my side. The person I thought could be mine, is in Maldives taking pills to get an erection to fuck his brand new bride. A bride I helped him choose."

"I let my boyfriend persuade me to do this for him. So that he can fossilize in the closet. This is ridiculous. I'm ridiculous. I'm ending this the day he returns."

"He's not that great a fuck. He's boring AF. He's cheated on me numerous times. We are hiding all the time .. can't introduce him to my parents, he won't acknowledge me as his boyfriend, we don't date publicly. " He listed his angst against this guy for the umpteenth time.

"What kind of a twisted situation have I gotten myself into? It's time to move on. Enough is enough."

He was so deep in his own thoughts that it took a while to realize that there were other voices on the terrace . 

Two guys were talking. 'Just look at the number of missed calls! While I was setting up, he's called me 23 times. He checks on me constantly and then calls others to check if I'm lying. Patty, this guy's driving me crazy.' The shorter guy said.

'Then cut him loose. I told you right in the beginning that he's not ok. He was hellish with me remember? I've met a few jealous types but this one belongs to the nut house.' the guy called Patty replied.

'I know he's insecure about you. His first question today was whether you are here or not. I used to find it cute, you know? His jealousy, all the questions, I used to think he did it out of love. I thought it'll reduce once our relationship cements. But it's been a year and it's not cute any more.'