Part 18 Don's Love

Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Don's love !

This Sunday night brought a storm but ultimately peace in the lives of many .

The peace of truths revealed , of assured knowledge , that even though life would never really be smooth sailing and trouble free , there would always be certain things in it which would make it truly worth living.

The biggest of such things was hope . Hope for a better future for some , of lasting happiness for others .

Donna was about to come to a momentous decision because of this very feeling . Her hope for lasting happiness was compelling her to make an important decision .

She got engaged to the boyfriend she'd been dating for more than 10 years .

She had met and started casually dating this hot young accountant , Surya . He was from the state of Uttar Pradesh and was from a traditional priestly clan who still ran a temple in the small town on the banks of the Ganges river .

While his family were unaware about this relationship , things went smoothly . She dated Surya without any particular desire to be with him forever , always thinking that the romance will fizzle out that Surya would cheat or she would find someone hotter and ditch him . But that never seemed to happen .

One day Surya's family informed him that they had shortlisted a selection of UP beauties to choose from and wed . Surya refused outright and told them that he had a girlfriend and had no intention of marrying someone unknown to him through this archaic system . Donna was impressed but still not particularly moved .

They were still together 5 years later when Patty called Donna and invited her to join him in his family firm . Donna was eager to return to her city of birth . She'd had enough of ghost writing for her boss who never gave her any credit for her hard work and went after her with the zeal of a slave driver . But there was only one hitch . This would mean a long distance relationship with her boyfriend at best or a break off at worst .

This time around, Surya surprised her . He quit his job and followed her to Kolkata where he found a small independent accounting firm and bought a partnership in it . Life settled in to a simple rhythm of work , movie and dinner dates , getting drunk on Saturday nights at club Eternity and sleeping together in Surya's tiny apartment in Kasba . Donna stayed with her parents during the weekdays and spent the weekends with Surya , both perfectly content in this simple setup .

In this manner half a decade went by and one day they woke up to realize that they were both in their thirties and still not married . In the meantime their friends had gotten married and had become parents .

Now these friends spent their time talking about the color of their baby's poop and conducted lengthy discussions of their wonderful babies and shared videos of their cooings and chortles . Donna realized that she wanted that too .