Part 24 The True Homecoming

Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The True Homecoming

October arrived and the pace of activities went on a hyper drive .

The Durga pooja special magazine finally got released on Mahalaya . Banyan Tree Publishing had set up several kiosks around town in the pooja fairs . They were mostly manned by the employees , apart from the one in Lansdowne road .

This one was always manned by the Mukherjees themselves . The fair ground in Maddox square was a mere 5 mins away from their home . So, the family took special pride in manning the company kiosk during the festival days .

But this year Avi had invited Patty to Adipur and he badly wanted to go . He knew that their family once had a home there . He wanted to see that house and also see the place where Borodadu and Motadadu grew up . His family agreed that he should go .

Patty and Avi reached Adipur station at 10 in the morning . Avi's family had driven down a few days earlier . The guys took a rickshaw through the narrow crowded street . It was lined with small shops with plastic and brassware hung out in display . A few clothes shops , a small dispensary , a sweet shop . These were the only bit of urbanization that Adipur had witnessed .

Half a kilometer each way beyond the station , the shops stretched out . After that the view opened up into endless emerald fields . Tall coconut palms swayed in the autumn breeze , ponds with life thriving under their mirror like surface had bamboo groves bent over their still surface . What they could see now was what Duke and Piku would have seen 85 years ago . They made their way through a rough cemented road , slightly higher than the rice fields on either sides .

The fields now lay bare , the harvest was over . The road turned left and became narrower and darker . Now, small houses encroached upon the road from either sides . The rickshawala's frantic honking didn't seem to bother the goats and chickens strutting through the lane . The lane itself felt engulfed in trees . They passed through what they assumed was the main village and then came across the temple .

It was a beautiful old building . A typical bengali temple.

Deep maroon in colour , it was the traditional hut shaped design with sloping roofs and a raised porch with thick columns supporting it . Hundreds of years old.

They stopped and paid off the rickshaw. They could walk to the zamindari from here . Patty took pictures and went up to the temple and peeked inside .

The priest came running and greeted them . He knew that Avi was supposed to arrive today . News travelled fast in villages . They paid their respect to the ancient idols inside and then munching the sweets handed to them by the priest , they walked down a path through the enormous field .

The zamindari house was on its other side . They entered through the side door and came upon a bustling scene . In a corner of the enormous balcony , the idol of Durga was receiving finishing touches from the artisans . There was a sheet partially covering the goddess . They weren't supposed to see her till she was completed .