Part 11 Steamrolling

Chapter 12

Steamrolling

The next few days became quite surreal for both Avi and Patty .

Ricky started turning up everywhere .

Patty found him sitting on the stairs again the next evening and decided to invite him in for coffee rather than have him hovering near the doorway, creating a spectacle for the neighbors .

Once inside Ricky walked around familiarly , showing Patty how comfortable he was in Avi's home .

Coffee made , Patty made him drink it at the dining table .

'So you're married with a child on the way , I gather . ' Patty jumped right in .

'Yeah , so what ? Do you think I can't handle it . I can take responsibility of both my kid as well as Avi . I can take care of them all . ' Ricky said staring at Patty .

' No you can't . Avi isn't yours to take care of . He's mine .' Patty replied quietly .

' And dude , this is not some Bollywood drama . Keep those filmy dialogs for elsewhere . He's a highly qualified , intelligent , independent person . You have never been and never will be his caretaker . You were fuck buddies . Nothing more , nothing less . So my friend , I don't know what you're trying to do here , but my advice to you would be to move on . Your time's up . He gave you enough chances . You refused them or ignored them or whatever . That was your choice . Now you need to stop . Drink your coffee . I hope you like it . It's a special grain . '

Having said his piece , Patty sat back and watched Ricky drink his coffee in broody silence .

'Do you have a job or are you Avi's fuckboi ? ' Ricky asked as if he was making conversation , taking a casual sip .

' Sounds like you are planning to turn Avi into your career . Cooking and cleaning for him .... fucking him whenever he wants some action .... got a day job or is this a full time gig ? ' he asked in an extremely polite tone .

"Okayyyy ... the mask is slipping ..." Patty thought as he nodded at Ricky ,

' You're right . This is a full time gig for me . He's my top priority . I have nothing else going on in my life . Avi's business is my business . So if you're planning to hang around him then be prepared to see me all day , every day, 24/7 .' he replied , his tone equally polite .

'I see , chutia ... What do you think ? You'll flatter him and he'll melt into submission ? You are just a temporary time pass . Avi is upset with me . But he'll come back to me . ' Ricky said with a shrug .

Patty waited to see if this guy had anything more to say ,then spoke up . ' You can think whatever you like about me . I don't give a rat's ass . You wanna talk shit ? Do !

' But leave us alone . Avi doesn't want you in his life . Read the writing on the wall , dude . ' he shrugged with the air of complete indifference .

Ricky didn't respond . He sat sipping the coffee.

An awkward silence ensued, dominated by the tick tock of the wall clock.

At length , Patty spoke up again, 'Listen Ricky , me and Avi are both openly gay . It didn't come easily for either of us . We had to struggle . We are still struggling . But we are out there , fighting in the open . Fighting for the day when people like you can lead a life of your choice . When you don't need to destroy the life of an innocent bystander to cover for your sexuality . That day will come . Maybe slowly but surely it will . In the meanwhile , you do your thing and please let us do ours .'

Ricky stood up and shouted out , ' how dare you ? How dare you talk down to me ? What do you know about my life ? What do you know about the choices I've had to make to survive ? How dare you lecture me ? You don't get to make assumptions about my life and invalidate my feelings . You are not living my life , I am!! '

Patty raised his arms up and politely pointed at the seat , gesturing for Ricky to sit back down .

' I agree with you . I'm sorry for making assumptions about your life . I know nothing about your reality . You deserve respect for the choices you have had to make . But Ricky , what about Avi's choices ? Aren't they valid as well? He doesn't want you in his life any more . Shouldn't you honor his decision ? You are completely ignoring his will here . What about that ? '

' I'm simply getting my boyfriend back . I'll do what it takes . He's angry now but he'll come back to me in the end . ' Ricky ground out .

Patty shrugged and said , ' it's a free world . You can keep turning up here and continue your campaign if I may call it that . But please remember something . What goes around comes around . '

'Whatthefuck is that supposed to mean ? ' Ricky asked , his voice rising again .

Patty gave him an impassive look and said, ' Look , I'm a bum , I have nothing to lose . I don't give a damn about anything . But this is the third time you've turned up at Avi's door . So what about a return of this courtesy ? I'd like a cup of coffee at your place sometimes . Do invite us over . ' He stopped , waiting for Ricky to say something . Avi's description of Ricky had given him a clear idea of his kryptonite .

Ricky sat glaring at Patty .

Patty continued talking softly , ' although ... your turning up here is quite fun for me . Gives me something to do while I'm waiting for Avi to come home . But what about you ? Are you having fun ? Is this entertaining for you ? Or should we have a few more people over and have a proper party ?'

Patty kept a hold on his temper , still talking in a conversational tone while pushing Ricky over the edge .

'Are you threatening me ? ' Ricky shouted .

'No, of course not . Why should I ? This is a very gentle reminder . ' Patty said as if talking to a child .

Ricky got up from the table , sending his chair toppling over with a crash .

He bit out, 'Chutia saala , I'll see you in hell, you asshole! Two can play this game . ' 

Patty's posture didn't change . He continued sitting back , staring unblinkingly at Ricky . He casually sipped his coffee till Ricky turned and left , banging the door behind him .

Then he got up , locked the door and silently started to dance around the apartment .

" You have no idea who you are up against , my friend ... " thought Patty exultantly . " I'm NOT gonna back down , NOONE , definitely not a chunoputi like you are gonna scare me off . Avi is worth it . Worth all the bullshit . I don't give a rat's ass as long as I get to be with him .

Bring it on MOTHERFUCKER ! "

.........................................................................................................................................

OKKAY !

Word meaning time !

Chutia : Asshole or idiot depending on whether it's being used by a friend or foe !

Chunoputi : Literally means small fish but here it implies that in Patty opinion Ricky's a small fry.

.........................................................................................................................