[23] "Midnight talks"

After watching the third and final high school musical film, everyone but Clay and Wilbur were drenched. Tommy's head had rolled up at George's toes and he slept, Tubbo was asleep at his shoulder, Niki made herself comfortable on the ground and George- Oh George.

He was turned away from Clay, laying in a blanket where only his head poked out. When the credits rolled and Wilbur stood to take out the DVD, it was eery dark. He heard footsteps coming closer to him and Will sat down once more, right next to him.

"Everyone's asleep but you and me, eh?" He whispered. "Everytime we end a movie night, I'm the only one awake. What time is it anyways?" He opened up his phone and the light that flashed in Clay's eyes was too much for him to take.

"3AM. Thought so."

"No wonder." Clay laughed, turning to Will. "It's not even that late."

"Alright, night owl, no need to flex." Will laughed and made Clay chuckle too. He liked how he got on with the taller. "Grab Gogy, will you? His room's the second one on the left. I'll take Tommy and Tubbo to their room."

Clay blushed at the tone and eyed George, seeing Wilbur pick up a tall body. "Wouldn't it be better to just wake them up?"

"Don't have it in me. Plus, Tommy's whiny whenever you wake him up, I'd rather not have a migraine." He said and walked around the sofa in the dark, opening up a door only to disappear in a hallway.

Clay eyed George for a moment before slowly contemplating his job. Right. Shouldn't be too hard, yeah? Shouldn't be.

Carefully, Clay pulled George's body towards him until he was resting next to his chest, his chest rising and falling as small breaths entered and left his lungs.

When he had a good grip on him, he got up, holding the man's back in one hand and his legs in the other. He carried him towards his room, and he saw Will leave Tommy's presumable room to go and grab the others.

Clay opened up the door of George's room and strided inside, taking short steps until he found the bed in the darkness. He placed George on top of it and placed the blanket on top of him.

Clay was inches away from his face, his lips almost grazing the other's forehead until he pulled himself away and out of the room, muttering a quiet 'goodnight.'

He met Will once more on the sofa, holding a pillow and a blanket. Clay closed the door and walked over, tipping his head at the sight. "Here's a pillow and a blanket, it's comfier that way."

"What do you mean?"

"Just thought you'd like to stay over, that's all." Wilbur shrugged, sitting down on the sofa.

"Oh, I shouldn't-"

"It's okay, mate. You mean a whole lot to George, he'd be okay with it too. Tubbo and Niki're chill about it, and Tommy'll use you for clout, but don't worry about him. He's a nice kid, he won't do anything boundary breaking." Will listed off.

Clay let out a sigh. "You sure?"

"Yeah, definitely." Clay smiled at him and sat down, situating his pillow on the sofa.

"I've got a question or two to ask, if you don't mind." Wilbur coughed into his hand, watching as Clay turned to look at him.

"Oh yeah, what for?"

"Kinda hard to not notice but like," Wilbur stared forward and bit his tongue, much like George always did when he was nervous. He suddenly turned towards him to speak. "You're famous. Everyone knows your name. How do you get to that fame?"

Clay was taken aback by the question but tried to answer it the best he could. "Well, it's a lot of talent and a lot of luck. Getting your first gigs and your name out there is tricky, but you just gotta persist and grab at any opportunities you can get, big or small." He smiled wistfully. "Why, have you got something going on?"