3. Business as usual

When the day finally arrived and Xie Lian received his prayers from Puqi Shrine, Hua Cheng suggested they'd attend to his devotees, business as usual, and back at Paradise Manor they could have some special celebration just the two of them. Xie Lian blushed; this "special celebration" would probably be like the one he prepared for Hua Cheng's last birthday!

"Daozhang! Happy birthday! May The Heavens bless you with everlasting happiness!", the village head said as soon as he saw Xie Lian.

The rest of the villagers, with similar greetings and compliments, gathered around, everyone bearing gifts: assorted fruits and vegetables, buns, chestnuts; somebody brought an iron pan, others gifted ceramic bowls and chopsticks – they seemed to think Xie Lian was in urgent need of means to organise a feast, there and then.

"Thank you thank you!", he replied with warm smiles. He was truly touched; they not only had remembered his birthday, but also brought things within their means, which Xie Lian appreciated.

"Gege, why don't you make that 'Love For All Seasons' stew? You like to cook and I love eating your food... c'mon I'll help you", Hua Cheng said, dragging Xie Lian inside the temple.

With Hua Cheng minding the fire while Ruoye chopped firewood and E-Ming shredding vegetables, Xie Lian put all kinds of seasoning in the pot, and the stew started boiling in no time.  

Thanks for reading, please vote, comment, follow me!