8. The ghost food market at Puqi Shrine

In an incense time, the ghosts and monsters, with the help of beggars and villagers, had setup a little food market, with a few staples of ghost realm cuisine. Butcher Zhu – that is, the pig spirit – had a grill, with what looked like human ears on it; to his credit they smelled delicious, crispy and spicy, truly mouth-watering if one didn't mind the fine details.

The rooster spirit was having a bath in full view, and the more he scrubbed himself, the stronger the taste of his chicken broth, with his customers all giving advice of more salt, less garlic and so on. There was a stall selling human hair noodles, very popular; another one, selling candied fruit sticks, said fruits however way past ripe, dried and moulded in fact.

The biggest stall announced XIE DAOZHANG'S CREATIONS, and they were serving what looked like "Love For All Seasons" stew, Incorruptible Chastity Meatballs, Toppled Phoenixes, and other dishes authored by Xie Lian at some point. Xie Lian noticed the stall sign also said "An explosion of the senses!", and didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Who knows where they got to these dishes; Xie Lian also suspected their versions would be even more edible than the originals. Looking at this stall, Hua Cheng smiled good-naturedly, loudly declaring Gege's cooking was inimitable – Xie Lian knew this was meant as a compliment, but...

They were also thoughtfully serving their own version of birthday food: hard boiled eggs, dyed with blood; long life noodles – long and alive; Xie Lian doubted any mortal would eat these moving worm-like noodles no matter how lucky they'd make you – and graveyard bug dumplings. 

Thanks for reading, I hope you liked!

If you did, please vote, comment, follow me.