6. A party from Ghost City

Just then, they heard a noise outside, far away, but quickly approaching; you could hardly call it music: its drums, bells and rogue flutes being so chaotic and out of tune that it sounded truly hellish. Xie Lian run to the door, followed by Shi Qingxuan and the beggars, and sure enough they saw a procession of inhuman entities.

It was dusk, that time of the day your eyes play tricks; they saw headless figures holding lanterns, followed by others wearing dreadful masks, monsters and demons. Besides the fanfare, their procession was carrying festive flags with HAPPY BIRTHDAY messages.

They were close enough to see Xie Lian now, and started some disorderly chanting,

"Grand-Uncle happy birthday! May you live happily ever after!"

"Daozhang, may you find bliss forever with our Ol' Lord Hua Chengzhu!". They loved their lord so much they had to include him in the birthday wishes.

"Quack! Happy birthday to our lord's beloved! Quack!"

Who else could it be but Ghost City's ghosts and monsters, coming en masse to Xie Lian's birthday!

Xie Lian cupped his hands thanking them graciously, but was quickly and chaotically surrounded, with much pushing and shoving, being hugged by cold dead hands, claws, tentacles and what not. Happy as he was, he was also thinking they painted a terrifying picture, and would surely scare witless all the mortals present.

But the beggars, being beggars, were fearless; besides, they had met previously at that Royal Capital incident, so they seamlessly mingled, greeting and shaking hands (or claws, or tentacles) with one another. Puqi villagers on their turn were more than used to strange guests from Puqi Shrine, so they also gladly received the newcomers.

As wildfire, word was spread that Daozhang was cooking a pot of 'Love For All Seasons' stew, the beggars about to do an open fire outside to cook some more. Quickly and diligently, the ghosts and monsters decided to set up an improvised food market, putting up stalls, complete with cooking facilities, large red lanterns and decorations, got from who knows where.

Xie Lian was speechless once more, and pulling Shi Qingxuan aside again, whispered, "Lord Wind Master? Ghost City food isn't..." he trailed off however; it can't be worse than his food anyway.

"Your Highness, Your Highness", Shi Qingxuan replied in a condescend way, like an elder speaking to a child, "Let's eat, drink and be merry!"

By the Heaven Official, it's The Ghosts! 😂😂😂

Please vote, comment, follow me...