16. The best birthday ever!

When the party was over, they returned to Paradise Manor; from their own bedroom, Xie Lian walked to the side chamber that contained Hua Cheng's black jaded bathtub, for a bath together. Surprisingly, Hua Cheng didn't follow; Xie Lian found him laying down in bed.

"San Lang? What's wrong?" Hua Cheng looked – in a manner of speaking – on his last breath.

"I'm sorry Gege. I know you were expecting three clones and –"

"San Lang, no", he said, firmly, blushing at the idea of their birthdays becoming a competition of clones; where would that end up at? He continued, "Just –"

"Gege. I can't get it up", Hua Cheng replied.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm at my limits of spiritual power. I need a rest", he said woefully.

"Just what happened?" Xie Lian was shocked, "It's something to do with today's party isn't it?"

"En", Hua Cheng said, "I cast an array around Puqi Shrine; the spell was for everybody to eat, drink and be merry. Everybody knew it by the way", he added. "So. Feng Xin and Mu Qing not fighting between them, everybody eating your food, and so on".

"That explains it!", Xie Lian said, punching a fist on his palm. "But I never sensed any array!"

Hua Cheng winked, "You didn't sense it because you weren't supposed to be affected".

"How so?"

Hua Cheng felt on Xie Lian's back, and fished out a yellow talisman; it was drawn by Hua Cheng alright, its calligraphy showing that much. It was indeed a spell blocking talisman.

Xie Lian was taken aback, "Since when you know how to draw talismans?"

Hua Cheng smiled smugly. He continued, "Everybody agreed to step in the array. For you Gege. They of course remember everything that happened tonight and must be as shocked as I am now... chatting to... Feng Xin and Mu Qing... letting those beggars hug you shamelessly..." he trailed off.

Xie Lian thought, the guests must be really shocked by eating his food! He smiled, and seeing how exhausted Hua Cheng looked, he caressed his face, "Alright. Have some sleep now".

"Too many grudges among your friends, so much resentful energy! By blocking hostilities and making everybody at their best behaviour this array sucked my spiritual powers dry. Another minute and I'd have turned into butterflies and disappeared..."

Xie Lian said, "I absolutely forbid you to get to this point! Now, close your eyes and get some sleep".

He climbed the bed and laid beside Hua Cheng, putting his arms around him, and asked in a low voice, "Can I stay here like this?"

"En", was the answer.

Xie Lian snuggled closer, and put his face on Hua Cheng's shoulder, whispering, "Thank you so much San Lang... It was my best birthday ever!", and kissed his cheek.

Hua Cheng smiled sleepily.