12. The Martial God of the North General Ming Guang, and his lady friend

At some point, the good-looking, charming and confident Martial God of the North General Ming Guang stepped in, greeting them with cupped hands,

"Your Highness, Crimson Rain Sought Flower. Hoho!"

"General Pei!", he greeted him with a big smile; Pei Ming was annoying with his bad jokes, but he was harmless, and, he didn't make a scene because of that ghost food market.

"Aren't you at that beauty queen festival at Royal Capital?", Xie Lian asked, "Maybe I got the wrong date from the spiritual communication array..."

"The Xuanmei Huanghou Festival is indeed an unmissable event, attended by the most charming beauties from the whole kingdom. It is tonight – only", Pei Ming added, "I'd rather attend Your Highness' birthday instead".

"Huh?", Xie Lian thought he heard it wrong.

"Besides, I came with a lady friend", he said, smiling and pulling Ling Wen by the hand from behind him, "Right Noble Jie?"

Ling Wen cupped her hands and spoke, her voice poised and polite as usual,

"Your Highness. Hua Chengzhu".

"Ling Wen! How come you're –"

"Not working?", she said. Xie Lian was going to ask about her with Pei Ming, but decided to leave it at that. Ling Wen not being at her palace going through mountains of scrolls, and attending a birthday party instead was surprising enough, a tale for the ages.

Pei Ming looked around and commented, "We couldn't miss a celebration with such esteemed guests! And I heard Your Highness is cooking..."

Xie Lian didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Pei Ming himself saw what happened to Pei Su when he had his Toppled Phoenixes, and kept saying he was "poisoned". Ling Wen saw when Quan Yizhen even projected his spiritual aura at being threatened with more Incorruptible Chastity Meatballs.

Xie Lian was too thick skinned to be offended; but could these Two Tumours be willing to give his food a second chance? 

Thanks for reading, please vote, comment, follow me! 😊