11. The Heaven Officials' blessings!

The party proceeded with howls and wails of demons and ghosts, loud laughter and clinks of wine cups, while Xie Lian was respectfully invited with all deference to supervise and give feedback on the stall serving his food, and, at the height of his fervour, even putting all kinds of seasoning in the pots, giving the dishes his finishing touch.

A third delegation arrived; if the monks and cultivators came with harmonious music and chanting, this one was positively – and literally – divine; its drums, percussion, flutes and even xylophone's notes floating around, showing quite an amazing spectacle with colours and light effects, making one almost ascend to The Heavens.  

Everyone cheered on their arrival; the Heaven Officials coming to congratulate Xie Lian felt rather miffed, the revelation of their heavenly beings taken as a firework display or something specially arranged for the celebration, their divine state not highly regarded.

And on top of that, another indignity: some of them were recognised and greeted familiarly by the ghosts and monsters. Xie Lian was taken aback, but remembered Hua Cheng telling some of them go to Ghost City to conduct unspeakable businesses; he flashed him a look, and Hua Cheng winked as if saying I TOLD YOU SO! 

However, it was as if the words eat, drink and be merry were ringing in all ears, and they soon forgot their past indiscretions; one by one, after singing praises and giving their blessings to Xie Lian, the gods acknowledged the other esteemed guests, and smoothly blended in with the crowd.