14. Last but not least

A tall, good-looking man wearing tattered grey robes approached Xie Lian, and, cupping his hands politely, said, "Happy birthday to Your Highness The Crown Prince".

Xie Lian smiled awkwardly: he didn't know who this was, and it'd be awfully rude to ask since the man obviously knew him and even dropped by his birthday party. While hesitating to recite Hua Cheng's password to his spiritual communication array, Shi Qingxuan came to his aid.

"Ming-xiong!", he exclaimed, coming over. Xie Lian was startled; he had never seen Black Water He Xuan in his true form, plus seeing Shi Qingxuan talking to him casually, even scolding him for being late!

"What took you so long! Hurry, get a bowl of Love For All Seasons!"

"Oh I'm on a diet", he replied; Xie Lian could finally see someone around him being reasonable!

He spotted Hua Cheng calling him from afar, and walked over; it was to meet the last guest of the evening, all in black and wearing a scholar hat, his hands tucked in his sleeves, looking all the more dignified.

"Master!", Xie Lian exclaimed; then he seemed to remember something, and looked around.

"Your Highness", the Guoshi greeted him back, and added, "He didn't come. He's got a bad cold, and sends his apologies and his best wishes".

Xie Lian thanked him, at the same time thinking it'd be a bit awkward if Jun Wu had showed up.

Hua Cheng greeted the Guoshi with great deference, the Guoshi being the only person he used honorifics to. In his turn, The Guoshi treated him as a naughty, mischievous boy he didn't want his prized pupil to hang around with; these two made Xie Lian actually laugh. 

The Guoshi and Hua Cheng! 😍

Thanks for reading, don't forget to vote, comment, follow me...