9. More guests arrive, Hua Cheng proves his identity

Suddenly, they heard the sounds of another approaching procession, but this one was different: drums, bells and cymbals in perfect rhythm, harmonious chanting, orderly rows of people dressed in different colours, bearing lamps. It was that bands of monks and cultivators, and at the front their leader, Heaven's Eye, wearing luxurious robes and carrying a treasure chest on his back.

Xie Lian's body tensed, his face paled. Barging in the little ghost food market just outside Puqi Shrine, they were looking for trouble! Xie Lian quickly grabbed Hua Cheng's hand, saying, "San Lang please don't kill anyone. We can talk things through".

Hua Cheng looked at him, smiling, "Kill who? Gege, these good masters surely came to pay their respects to a fellow cultivator on his birthday".

Xie Lian was startled at his answer, and, following his silent command, fast as lightening, Ruoye shot, binding Hua Cheng tightly around his arms, immobilizing him completely. He didn't seem to think anything was off, and, laughing, said, "Gege, I thought you didn't want to use Ruoye when we do this kind of thing..."

"Who are you? You can't be San Lang", Xie Lian asked, his face darkening.

"Oh? If Gege wants me to prove I'm me, that's easy. I'll tell him something only I would know", he said, and added, "Not my communication array password!"

He tilted his head for a moment, as if thinking, then flashed a smile, saying, "Alright. Gege really likes when I- ", then he whispered something into Xie Lian's ear.

Xie Lian's face went deep red, his eyes widening. "San Lang!", he blurted out. Hua Cheng just kept smiling and nodding, as if saying, I MEAN IT. He went on, "And when I – ", more whispering, "Gege goes crazy and asks me not to stop", he paused, "And keeps saying –"

"ALRIGHT, you are San Lang", Xie Lian said loudly, closing his eyes.

Hua Cheng smiled all the more pleased, and Xie Lian commanded Ruoye back to his arm.

Xie Lian sighed, "In this case, this, all this", he waved around him, "is an illusion. It can't be really happening no matter what. Well", he shrugged, "Let's eat, drink and be merry".