13. Eat, drink and be merry

Even though the little ghost market outside Puqi Shrine was setup to cater for the party nibbles, it wouldn't be complete without some wacky and outlandish busking. Like a ghost pulling his own hair, and playing the strands like a pipa; he played it badly, but it was still skilful and entertaining.

Some acts were technically wrong, like a knife thrower whose knife went straight at his assistant's heart, or that fire breather getting out of hand, walking around in huge flames; the ghosts booed, however these were a great success among the mortal audience. There was also a kind of fortune-telling based on date and time of death.

But the most acclaimed act was the ancient and noble – as advertised – art of shattering boulders on the chest. Xie Lian himself was called upon to testify how that move had defeated none else than The Heavenly Emperor Jun Wu! He didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

After establishing it was all an illusion, Xie Lian felt at ease seeing the monks and cultivators eating Incorruptible Chastity Meatballs, Pei Ming with Ling Wen and Pei Su eating Toppled Phoenixes, Shi Qingxuan and the beggars digging bowls of Love For All Seasons, everyone standing and smiling happily! Indeed they all had come to eat, drink and be merry.

Some Puqi villagers started playing instruments: a pipa, drums and paigus, bangzis, assorted xiaos. One of the beggars could play an ehru, another had a dizi; heavenly music was too transcendent, ghost music too horrible and the monks and cultivators' one, too devout. Dancing followed by village girls, seductive ghost ladies and heavenly maidens alike.