Riverdale - Chapter 1

No title with this one. I own Raven, Rachel, and their parents. 

Raven slipped the black strap of her laptop bag over her shoulder and went to the door of her bedroom. She turned around, silently saying goodbye to it, wishing she didn't have to leave. She looked around at her dresser, which was now empty, then to her four-poster bed, which sat against the corner of the room opposite the dresser. A desk sat in the middle of the back wall, tucked between the bed and the dresser. The opposite wall held shelves, all of which were bare.

The room felt sad despite the cheery yellow walls. Raven didn't know how much of their furniture was coming with them. All her mother had said was 'pack your clothes and belongings.' Raven's sunflower painting was still hanging on the wall, being too big to fit in any of the bags. If she had to pick two things from this room, she'd take the desk, where she'd done some of her best writing, and the painting, which had been one of her happiest moments.

Raven closed the door and turned into the hallway, her back to the room. She fought back tears. She promised herself she wouldn't cry. Her phone dinged with a notification. It was a message from an online critique buddy of hers, screen name J, asking about critiquing each other's new works.

Sorry, but no, Raven responded. Moving today. Gonna be stuck in the car for two-and-a-half hours. I'll let you know when I can. 'Kay?

Moments later, she got her response: Kay

Raven walked by her sister's room which seemed to be sadder than her own with the pale-green walls and the worn teal carpet which lined the floor. Raven's floor was covered in a light-colored wood, which was splattered with paint in areas where the paint missed the plastic she painted over.

Raven's redheaded sister was still there, shoving her clothes into her suitcase. Rachel was wearing jean shorts and a ruffled white tank, while Raven wore a more simple outfit: a pair of denim jeans (with holes in the knees) and a black t-shirt.

"I can't believe we're leaving," Raven said, making her little sister jump.

"Goodness gracious, Raven!" Rachel said with a laugh, turning to face Raven. "Don't sneak up on me like that! I thought you were in the truck already!"

"Nope. Had to grab my laptop. I'm heading out now, but it seems like you need a hand?"

"I'm good, but thanks."

"Well, hurry. We don't want to be waiting on you."

Rachel stuck her tongue out, then went back to trying to shove her clothes. Raven continued with her farewell tour of her house.

She passed the master bedroom, clean and tidy as it always was, then went on down the steps into the living room. Behind the steps, barred from the living room by only a strip of gold-colored metal on the ground, was the kitchen-slash-dining room. The marble tiles were surprisingly pristine -- the amount of food spills that ought to have stained the floor by now. Raven's gaze swept along the off-white wallpaper that abruptly changed to a plain blue wallpaper at the living room walls. The couch still sat in the middle of the floor, facing an empty TV stand, with a coffee table on the floor between.

Raven made her way to the front door, silently bade farewell to her childhood home, and climbed down the steps that lead to the path to the driveway. She ran to get into the passenger side of the front seats. Mom was already waiting in the driver's seat. Raven set her laptop bag down at her feet and leaned back. It was only mid-morning, but Raven felt tired.

The trunk slammed closed, and the car door behind Raven opened then closed again, signaling that Rachel was ready.

"We all ready?" Mom asked the girls, her voice sounding oddly chipper.