chapter 3

Huey's POV

  I was woken up at like 4am by Riley's phone ringing. I answered and it was Majesty. Now I gotta pretend to be Riley. Damn it.  "Hey reezy~" I rubbed my eyes "hey- mamas" I cringed and she yawned "when are you coming over?" She asked and I thought of a Riley answer "probably really early like 9 or something. I want to get good spots at the beach." She giggled "okay bae. Talk to you later." I nodded "bye." I hung up and Riley was staring at me.

  "That was a pathetic impression." I shrugged "It's early." We got up and got our days started. We brushed our teeth and went to the kitchen to eat. He kept touching the hickey on his neck and I looked at him "Is it your first one?" He nodded "mane, you ain't never had one.." I smirked "are you sure?" He stared at me "Not so much anymore." I shrugged "eh. You're right." He sighed.

  "I was shocked when she came onto me." I nodded "Word? It's probably because she was high. Just sayin." He nodded "I didn't smoke that much, she did though. I was a little high but, mostly sober. I wanted the painting to be perfect for her and- mane that's cheesy. Mane, I never thought I'd feel this way about a chick" I'm surprised he ain't call her a bitch. His phone dinged and he looked at me. "Majesty just said they talkin 'bout my mural on the news..." He hurried to the livingroom and I followed him. Once we got there, he turned on the TV.

  The news anchor started talking "And now for some lighter new this morning, some graffiti appears on a local Baltimore deli. Owner says it's "a beautiful testament to black love" and he's actually happy it's there. Let's go to the scene."

  The other news anchor started talking "yes so last night, this painting of a girl with an afro appeared and the writing above says Esco's girl. Now when we hear that name, I personally think back to artist R. Escobar from seven years ago who had art critics weeping with his beautiful artwork all over houses in the Woodcrest community. We never did find out who he was but, it seems he may have started back making beautiful paintings. This, in my opinion, really shows the beauty of just black women everywhere, even if it's based off of one girl. Here's what the owner of the deli has to say."

  They cut to the owner "I actually heard them talking before they left, Mr. Esco and his lady.. I was closing my shop and The boy who I assume is Mr. Esco said to the girl who I assume the painting is based off of "oneday, I felt incomplete. Then you walked into my life. Now everytime I think of you, I can't wipe the smile off of my face. You're so perfect. You're sweet, funny, charismatic, you're just absolutely beautiful." And I just thought that was gorgeous. It's a beautiful testament to young black love and black beauty. Mr. Esco you can graffiti my shop anyday."

  I looked at Riley and he looked like he was so happy he was on the verge of tears. "They liked it!!" He started doing his little happy dance. I shook my head "They loved it" he hugged me tight. I rubbed his back "It feels good to do good stuff, don't it?" He nodded "They like my art"

  He was happy dancing and crying and jumping around excitedly "These niggas like my art! They remember me from like seven years ago? Hellz yeah!!" Our eyes met and he stopped. "You tell nobody, McHater." I nodded "I wasn't going to" we finished our breakfast and he went off to get ready for the beach.

Riley's POV

  I was packing my beach bag and Majesty called me "yes babe?" She giggled "I'm outside" I rolled my eyes "you impatient, I was about to come get chu." I put my wallet and towel into my bag and put on my flipflops, going downstairs. I had on a white wife beater, camo swim trunks, and black flip flops.

Granddad was sitting on the couch "Hey Riley-" he stared at me for a second "Boy, you told me that was makeup. Who is this 'girl' you're going off with anyways?" I sighed "Granddad, I already told you, her name is Majesty. She's outside! You can come meet her." Huey came downstairs "No one wants to see your feet." I rolled my eyes "Chill on the hater-aid, Mchater." He blinked "I will post on my Facebook about this morning. Don't play with me."