chapter 10

Huey's POV

  I was sitting in the Dubois living room as Sarah congratulated us again and again on the engagement. I shouldn't have told them... I finally apologized to Tom though.  I think he's mad I'm fucking his daughter.. I sat next to Jazmine who is just admiring the ring I bought her. "It's so beautiful, Huey..." I looked at her and smiled "only the best for mon cherie..." She looked at me and grabbed my hand "You're so sweet..." then there was a knock door and Tom opened it.

  "Oh hey Riley! What're you doing here?" He walked in "you just won't gon tell me?" I looked up "hey.. I was going to tell you when I got home." He came over and hugged me "I'm so happy for you, I wish you would've told me." I hugged him back "I didn't think you were gonna care." He smiled st me "ups and downs aside, you're my brother. My newly engaged brother!"

  I  felt proud of his maturity and patted his shoulder "and you're my baby brother. Always" he sat next Jazmine "so Mariah, how does it feel to be an honorary Freeman. You have a Revolutionary for a fiancé, a thug for a brother, and old head granddad, a fine ass sister in law, and Caesar." I smiled "and Caesar?" He nodded "and Caesar." Jazmine smiled "I am so excited.."

  Sarah smiled patted my hair "how sweet-oh wow your hair is soft"I glanced over to Jazmine and she sat up "mom, don't touch his hair." She nodded "of course, sorry" Jazmine hugged Riley and smiled at me "you, Huey Freeman, are the best thing to happen to me. I sat down next to Jazmine on the opposite side of Riley.

  Tom smiled "how sweet..like that picture from when you guys were over here watching the Magic School Bus after school, do you remember? It was right before my baby's 5th grade graduation.. aww.. now you're going into senior year and you're engaged." He struggled holding in his tears "oh- it's just so sweet" I bit the inside of my cheek and Riley chuckled "Tom. You gay." They both laughed at Tom wiped his tears away "you'll understand when you have a daughter." He frowned "don't wish that upon me. I want a boy. My son will protect my maybe daughter but I need a boy." He sighed "I have to talk to Majesty about this. I've gotta go-" he got up and left.

  Me and Jazmine looked at each other and giggled. "He's so crazy..." she whispered and I nodded in agreement. Tom looked back at me "please protect my daughter, she's my only child." Sarah looked down and I looked at her "You're sure she's your only one?" He nodded "pretty sure I know how many kids I have!" I nodded "what about how many kids you're having." Sarah sighed "Huey, must you say something about EVERYTHING?" Jazmine and Tom just sat there shocked "you're pregnant?"

  I stood up and faked coughed "I'm going to let you have this beautiful family moments. Congratulations, bye" then I walked over to my house. When I walked in,Riley was asleep and "We're playing basketballlll" was coming from the TV. I went upstairs and Majesty was asleep in Riley's bed. I put my bonnet on her head and plaited my hair. Then I put on my pajamas and went to sleep.

Riley's POV

  I woke up on the couch at like 3am and went upstairs to get in bed. I got in my room and immediately took my jeans off, swapping them out for basketball shorts. Then i put my durag on and laid down, snuggling Majesty close and taking in her familiar vanilla scent. She started waking up, turning to me and hugging me tight.

  "Hi Reezy.." I smiled and kissed her cheek "hi Majesty. .. did you know Huey was engaged to Mariah?" She smiled "really? That's so cute.." she buried her face into my neck and fell asleep and I sat and held her. She was so peaceful and I just wanted to protect her at all cost. She looked so pretty...

  Eventually I fell asleep and in the morning, Majesty and Huey weren't in the room so I got up and went to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and washing my face. Then I went to the kitchen where Majesty was talking to Granddad "Hey Granddad, hey Ebony." I poured myself some Cap'n Crunch and sat down, listening to their conversation.

  "Yeah it's so crazy, like when we were being brought from Africa-" Huey walked in and they stared at him. He blinked and grabbed the Cheerio's. He poured his cereal and sat down "so, when they took the slaves from Africa?" She sat back "your knowledge is intimidating, I don't want to say it anymore." He nodded "no continue. I won't say anything, I swear" she sighed.

  "Well, the slaves used to cornrow rice into their hair to save food and they also used to braid maps into their hair." I looked up "maps to where?" Huey and Majesty smiled and said at the same time "Freedom."

  Granddad nodded "Yeah, did you know we're related to Catcher Freeman? Hoo hoo! Yeah buddy, he was like male Harriet" she looked over to Granddad "You're lying!" Huey nodded "yeah. We just a family of revolutionaries. And Riley" she giggled and I pouted "I can be a revolutionary too!"

Granddad smiled "you know, I was doing the protest with Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King." Huey shrugged "Claudette Colvin did it first." Granddad smirked "that baby she was having is mine" I spit out my cereal and Huey looked at him like he was stupid and Majesty covered her mouth "You know she was 15, right?" Granddad blinked and got up "I have said too much. I'm going to go to my room and take my medication." He left and we started laughing.